[SOLVED] New motherboard causes system to turn off for a couple of seconds, then off again ?

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Hi.

Quite a strange one I have here and please excuse my ignorance. So, I have just bought a motherboard and when I put it in my system everything freaks out. Everything will turn on and then switch off, excluding the motherboard itself. A green light persists even when everything else doesn't.

Anyways, the motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V LX. I am also putting in a new I7 3770k as well as two sticks of 8GB DDR3 1666 MHZ ram. Currently I have eliminated the CPU being the problem as it is recognized in my old motherboard, just not supported.

The ram again in another motherboard is shown to be working, just not supported. My PSU is an EVGA 400w and works perfectly after I put in all of my old components so I do not believe that was causing the issue, and I even unplugged my GPU on the ASUS board to see if it was possible the PSU didn't have enough power to support everything to no avail. Please help as i really don't want $100 to go down the drain.

Ralston18

Titan
The green light is probably just an indicator that power is present via the PC's power cord.

Could be a thermal shutdown....

How much thermal paste did you use and how was the paste applied? What brand thermal paste?

And I would not immediately exclude the PSU. How old is that EVGA PSU? Heavily used for gaming, video editing, etc...?

The starting point is to power down, unplug, open the case.

Use the motherboard's User Guide to double check that all connections are both correct and fully and firmly in place.

Do the same for all seated components. Ensure that they are indeed properly in place. No one wants to force a connection on a new build but sometimes components and connections seem to be tightly in place but they are not.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
The green light is probably just an indicator that power is present via the PC's power cord.

How much thermal paste did you use and how was the paste applied? What brand thermal paste?

And I would not immediately exclude the PSU. How old is that EVGA PSU? Heavily used for gaming, video editing, etc...?

Use the motherboard's User Guide to double check that all connections are both correct and fully and firmly in place.

Do the same for all seated components. Ensure that they are indeed properly in place. No one wants to force a connection on a new build but sometimes components and connections seem to be tightly in place but they are not.
The EVGA power supply is only a couple of months old at this point. The power supply is mixed between gaming and just productivity. Even when it is used for gaming it’s not really being stressed out. I used the tried and true pea method when applying my thermal paste and I believe the brand is Corsair. I will definitely try to redo everything as soon as I’m able to later this afternoon. Thank you for your help!

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020

Just out of curiosity. Could the problem be that I’m connecting a 4 pin power connector to the cpu power when it has an 8?