New Motherboard causing GPU to have coil whine it didn't have before

aotnotorious1

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
I recently purchased an MSI Z97 PC Mate with an i5 4590 and 8gb DDR3 Ripjaws 1866. I removed my ASUS Maximus ix and i5 7600k from my case and placed the z97 and i5 4590 in it along with the same GTX 970 I had been using. Everything works great and all temps look normal with no issues except now the GTX 970 has coil whine. It is only while playing games and the higher the fps the louder the whine. I switched everything back and coil whine goes away, tried GPU in another PC and no coil whine. As soon as I try it with the z97 and i5 4590 the coil whine returns. Can anyone please tell me why this motherboard gpu combo is causing this and is there anything to be worried about other than the noise? Thanks for any advice I greatly appreciate it!

aotnotorious1

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

Thanks for the link. I have watched this video along with many more but they don't answer the question why i'm getting it with one motherboard but not the others. I'm trying to find out why my Gigabyte G1 Windforce GTX 970 has coil whine with this specific motherboard but not in any other builds I use it in? Thanks again for the link as the advice in this video of using vsync does help with noise. Honestly the coil whine isn't very loud and I can't hear it over the game, just curious whats causing the issue and if I should worry being its only with this motherboard.