Question new motherboard/cpu performing worse than old cpu

alex309250

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Hi all

I recently purchased a pre assembled motherboard/cpu combo bundle (asus z390 - p/ i5 9600kf/ 16gb ram) which i used to replace an i5 6600k with 16gb ram.

I installed everything into the case along with a new ssd. it turned on OK and booted as normal. It then automatically installed the new drivers and I went through and deleted my old ones. So far so good (incl. migration to the new ssd)

However when playing games I'm noticing my fps is lower than what it was getting before (stable 60fps now down to around 45fps)

ive also benched my system on uningine's superposition software on thier 1080p extreme setting and my pc came out with a score of 2216 which puts it on par with pcs with seemingly older/ lower specs than mine

Have i missed anything at all? should i have done a clean install of windows?

for info the rest of my build is:

Nvidia 1060 6gb gpu
kolink kl-500 500w bronze rated psu
Seagate firecuda 510 series m.2 NVMe 500gb SSD

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
should i have done a clean install of windows?
For best practice, yes. Not clean installing can carry over junk, residual files, and residual drivers from the past installation which can (not always) cause plenty of problems. It's always best to do a clean install after major hardware change.

Agreed with rgd too ensuring the BIOS is up to date is also a good thing to do.

On top of that, by saying "automatically installed" I assume you mean windows - Windows doesn't always install all the latest drivers, so you are often best going directly to the manufacturers site and downloading Chipset / GPU / LAN drivers etc. But this would be best done on a clean install.

Last edited:
Reactions: alex309250

alex309250

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Hi!

Thanks for the quick answers!

I've downloaded the windows 10 installation media and have it ready to go on a USB.

New problem though, I cant get into my BIOS/UEFI. Not through Start up, not through booting in safe mode or through disabling fast start... Urmm help. Last time i was in it was to change the boot up so my SSD loaded first

Cheers again

Alex

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
New problem though, I cant get into my BIOS/UEFI. Not through Start up, not through booting in safe mode or through disabling fast start... Urmm help. Last time i was in it was to change the boot up so my SSD loaded first
What exactly is happening? Usually you can just press DEL repeatedly as it boots, does nothing happen? (depending on MB it can be F2, F10, F12 etc. too to access boot menu/full BIOS)

You can get to UEFI via this: https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/access-bios-windows-10 assuming this what you mean by start up. What exactly happens?

Reactions: alex309250

alex309250

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
So I've tried to boot into the UEFI using the steps in the link and it just goes straight to the windows sign in screen.

I've also tried hammering Del (and F2 and ESC) as it boots, but nothing. Straight to the sign in page

alex309250

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
So after a long evening yesterday I managed to do a clean install of Windows and grab the latest drivers (not done my bios though) however my performance hasn't increased.

Am I expecting too much from a new CPU when it comes to games? I'd have thought a CPU that's 3 versions newer ( i5 6600k Vs i5 9600kf) would give me some performance improvement?