sonic_boom81

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I've just upgraded from AMD FX PC, and now my PC is:

MSI B450 Tomahawk mobo (new)
Ryzen 5 2600 (new)
GTX 1050 Ti (previous PC but new)
16 Gb Corsair Vengeance 2400 RAM (new)
Windows 10 running on SSD (previous PC, 50GB free).

The computer runs a lot slower than my FX PC and keeps blue screening. I can't run any large programs like Premiere Pro or play larger Steam games as it blue screens while loading or within a few minutes. Some games just fail to load/start or come up with message to it quit. Using drivers was a pain as it kept failing, but they are updated now.

HWMonitor shows CPU temp is 35C to 50C. CPU utilisation across the 12 threads is usually low. In the bios it recognises the CPU and the type of RAM).

Any ideas what I should try?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
I've successfully migrated from SSDs with the whole windows 7 installed for a Core2Duo build to Ryzen platform, but I never really felt good about it stability. Nonetheless, if you have not given your machine which is now running on Ryzen time to do "all" the updates, and there are lot of them, and you will have to wait. And then follow that up with the windows 10 upgrade so you can make use of the existing windows 7 key, and that is more updates and more waiting. And until all of it is done, things ran slow. But now that Microsoft has discontinued the windows 10 free upgrade, I am not sure this is even a viable path anymore.

But in any case what has not changed is that you need to make sure all the updates are done, and with Windows 10 1803 build having been made mandatory just now, you need let it update to too that too. That needs to all happen first before you can try to run games and such. A lot drivers and driver fixes gets picked up in these updates and without them you can expect things to be really crappy, and unreliable.

The thing is you can do all this, and thing may look to run fast, smooth, and stable, but in the back of your mind you can really never be 100% sure. And the time it takes to do all this, it just might really be quicker to install fresh. But if the issues is to keep using your existing Windows license key from a previous build, a fresh install should really only be done after you successfully got the activation where windows says " Windows is Activated with a digital license". Which means you need to all this updating and waiting first, and then follow it up with clean install, a real pain the you know where.

Sometimes I think Microsoft make this mess so people are incentivized to go buy a new license, and do a fresh install, because the time baby-sitting that migration/upgrade/update is just not worth it.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
BTW what is the CPU speed you are seeing the Task Manager?
And focus not just on the current speed, but also the base speed.

When I was overclocking my R5 1600, when I tried to set the voltage and clock values to the "unhappy" ones, ones that the Ryzen/mobo didn't like, I get speeds like 1.80 Ghz or less. In which case everything ran really slow.

I have to agree with the first two responders that the first step after upgrading your motherboard and CPU is a new installation of Windows. Even if you can get all of the drivers installed correctly, that doesn't mean Windows installed all of the exact same supporting libraries you will need for the new equipment.

sonic_boom81

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I'll get a Windows install usb and try. At the moment it blue screens while I'm trying to download Windows. It even blue screens sometimes when Windows is trying to repair before starting Windows which is a little worrying.

sonic_boom81

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
The RAM test passed, but I only did a couple of passes. Reinstalling Windows 10 seemed to fix things. Though I had to reinstall twice as after a full install and updates and restart it was unable to boot and blue screened and unable to repair. After reinstall again and ran done updates it blue screened again on boot and I had to reset Windows. Third time lucky it's mostly going ok.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
A couple of passes is not enough to catch those low odds intermittent errors. I've had DDR4 that started failing the test after 40 hours of memtest86. I know it is frustrating to wait days for memtest to run thoroughly thru the memory. However I would not pass off a random BSOD as third time is a charm. The thing you worry about is that the filesystem, files, and/or disk/ssd/storage is getting corrupted and then snowballing and leading to a unstable system.