[SOLVED] New motherboard for core i7-860

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey everyone, I’m building a budget build with the i7-860. I got the CPU, motherboard, SSD, and ram for free, but recently the motherboard broke. Probably my doing lol. Anyway, I’m looking for a cheap motherboard to go with my system to replace the old one. The old motherboard was from an old HP prebuilt, it was the H57H-AM2 V:2.0. I’d like a black or blue motherboard as that’d fit my theme, but green works too. I’m buying used, of course, and my budget is $30 or lower. I actually have two motherboards in mind:
Acer (not HP) H57H-AM2 V:2.0 Here
Gateway H57M01G1-1.1 Here
Will either of these work? Or can you guys find a better looking or performing motherboard?
Here are the specs if you need them:
I7-860
4x2gb Samsung ddr3
PNY Vertex 4 256gb ssd (never used)
DIYPC DIY-BG01 ATX case
Antec TruePower 550w
MSI GTX 960 4gb
Thanks so much!
Edit: forgot to say it’s an lga 1156 motherboard I need, if anyone didn’t know.

Last edited:
Solution
Mine that broke came with the i7, but I had the HP version, not the Acer version.
I looked on a website and it says that it’s Intel’s H57 chipset. It says it supports “95w i7 (Lynnfield), i5, i3 (clarkdale)”
I understand you are reading from a website that says the H57 chipset supports i7 CPUs.
That does not mean that if you get a motherboard from those manufactures, I mentioned above, your CPU automatically is going to be compatible.
Just because HP has the same chipset supporting the i7 -860 CPU, it does not meant Acer or Gateway will support the same CPU.
Even though the chipset supports the i7, those manufactures could have change that on their custom BIOS they place on those boards, locking it to just certain CPUs models...

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I suggest you get a motherboard that supports that CPU out of the box. (e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/114010203718 )
Acer, Hateway, HP, DELL , etc motherboards might need a BIOS update to support that CPU or it might not support it at all.
BIOSes from those PC manufacturers might come locked to work with certain CPU models only.
I’d like to do that, but those are a bit expensive.
The first motherboard I had looked at was an Acer H57H-AM2 V:2.0, which is the exact same as my old HP motherboard, which came with the i7. It does look a little different though. Do you think since it’s the same model but made by Acer it will still work?

I’d like to do that, but those are a bit expensive.
The first motherboard I had looked at was an Acer H57H-AM2 V:2.0, which is the exact same as my old HP motherboard, which came with the i7. It does look a little different though. Do you think since it’s the same model but made by Acer it will still work?
Did it come with a i7 -860 ?
Otherwise, how would you know if the BIOS supports the i7 -860?

Mine that broke came with the i7, but I had the HP version, not the Acer version.
I looked on a website and it says that it’s Intel’s H57 chipset. It says it supports “95w i7 (Lynnfield), i5, i3 (clarkdale)”
I understand you are reading from a website that says the H57 chipset supports i7 CPUs.
That does not mean that if you get a motherboard from those manufactures, I mentioned above, your CPU automatically is going to be compatible.
Just because HP has the same chipset supporting the i7 -860 CPU, it does not meant Acer or Gateway will support the same CPU.
Even though the chipset supports the i7, those manufactures could have change that on their custom BIOS they place on those boards, locking it to just certain CPUs models.
Unless you know that the BIOS version supports that specific CPU or the seller guarantees, that the BIOS supports the i7 -860, you have a 50% chance.

Solution

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Even though the chipset supports the i7, those manufactures could have change that on their custom BIOS they place on those boards, locking it to just certain CPUs models.
Unless you know that the BIOS version supports that specific CPU or the seller guarantees, that the BIOS supports the i7 -860, you have a 50% chance.
Alright thanks so much! I asked the seller and I’m waiting for their response.