New motherboard has UEFI bios but my hdd is in MBR scheme...Want to format C drive and fresh install windows 7..HELP

facepalmaa

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Hi,
I recently bought a new pc.Specs:
Intel G3250
ASUS H81M-K
4GB RAM
Saphhire R7 250X
Old 160gb HDD

I want to Re-install Windows 7 on my hdd.My motherboards bios is uefi.My hdd is currently in MBR scheme with 3 primary and 1 extended partition.I don't want to lose the partitions.Just want to format the C drive and reinstall windows.On my old pc I used to format my usb and make it win7 bootable like this:
cmd-diskpart-list disk-select disk-clean-create partition primary-select partition-active-format fs=fat32 quick-assign-exit
Then paste all the stuff that was in the WIN7 ISO(64BIT)

Can I install windows like this here too?I mean make a usb just like this and boot directly to it,format c drive and install windows?I have heard that you need to format your hdd in gpt for UEFI bios systems?I am clearly a noob in terms of these things.Please help me.

Thanks in advance

1st u can turn your hdd into gpt from mbr without deleting your partition using aomei partition manager 2nd Rufus is a software which creates bootable usb drives if u have a windows iso, if u lunch the software choose your iso then u can select gpt or mbr to create the usb. hope it helped.

facepalmaa

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the fast reply's.I think its just too complicated for me. :( If I make a windows 7 bootable dvd by burning the iso and directly boot into it,will I be able to install win7 as an mbr os?

facepalmaa

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
So basically if I make a gpt usb(efi) using rufus and tell the bios to boot legacy usb,I will be booted into mbr win7 installation instead of efi windows(gpt required)??
)

NErdgOd

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
uefi/ legacy is an option, not a requirement. your pc,'s bios has an option to use efi or not, find that option and turn efi off, then make rufus make a regular mbr win7 disk, and reinstall windows. if you dont know what uefi is then dont use it. its not for you

NErdgOd

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
ah you have an asus mobo. boot into you bios, click advanced mode if not already in advanced mode, goto the boot tab, find compatibility ssupport module(CSM) and basically just make sure nothing is set to uefi. i believe its called OProm or something. once youve set those you can use your computer like the pre-efi days. gpt is unnessicary