New motherboard, incompatible processor

Oceanbars

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I just replaced the motherboard on my dell e510 to repair a memory slot problem, and upon start up it says I have an incompatible processor. I read somewhere that it could be a bios problem reading the chip, and that a reset was needed to fix it. Can anyone confirm this or give me a way to verify the problem?

You can try reseting the bios with the cmos jumper (move jumper over to open pin, then return to original position) or simply remove the board battery for a few seconds. If you get to the post position; be sure to save and exit after entering bios. I always check the boot order. If the new board or cpu have been updated, then a bios flash may fix your problem, but you must do it carefully, or you will end up with a dead board.

Oceanbars

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
The computer boots up fine even with the error, I just want to make sure that I don't encounter problems down the line. I tried resetting the jumper, but with no change. I see nothing in the bios that would be cause for alarm. The chip worked fine in the old board, the memory slots were damaged. I seated and reseated everything, including the chip in the new board. It is more of an annoyance than trouble, but I don't want it to become trouble down the line.

koss63

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
You can try a older processor if you can get your hands on one. Head to dell's support site and look to a cpu support sheet of some kind or examining the bios updates the model has undergone. If you get a compatible older processor get the latest BIOS and flash it to the latest one.Incedentally you could call dell and find out all of this, but the fact you had to buy a board tells me your warranty might be up and dell i find wont give you the time of day without that.

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Try updating the BIOS. The MB you installed may be running an older version and it could be as simple a solution as just updating it.

Oceanbars

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I checked the bios and it is a06. I found an a07 upgrade, but cannot find info stating that it is compatible with my chipset which is intel 945gv express.

Any thoughts?

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Since it's the same MB as what was in your Dell E510 before and since there's an A07 BIOS update meant for an E510 then you should be able to go for it without any problems.

Oceanbars

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Ok, I upgraded the bios with no trouble, but the error persists. It seems I may have to live with the F1 extra untill I decide to upgrade the processor. Thanks for all your help, I truly appreciate it. :D

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
You are welcome. Sorry that you didn't find a solution here but I hope that you do find one eventually. Cheers.