[SOLVED] New Motherboard install

Aug 29, 2022
Hi - I've just fitted a new motherboard Gigabyte H610M H DDR4 motherboard to a new case.

I've installed Core i3 processor and my previous SSD card - not M2 and previous graphics card NVIDEA P455 Geforce 7900 GS 256Mb.

Everything appears to start as per normal - all fans running but no graphics output. I've changed out the graphics cards and monitors. I cant get the basic graphics out put via VGA on the motherboard or the DVi card. Both the graphics card and SSD worked fine in my old Dell Dimension 9150. Without the graphics - I can't troubleshoot any further - change boot sequence, install new drivers etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jon

Solution
Have you connected a 6 pin pcie connector to the card?

A very old graphics card will likely be using legacy mode while the bios may default to uefi mode.
Catch 22, you can't change the bios without a display.

What to do??

If you can, exchange the 12100F for a 12100 and use integrated graphics.
The integrated UHD730 graphics is some 5x stronger than your old card. But, it does not have dvi connections if that is what your monitor requires.
If you can borrow a gpu to try, that might allow you to update the bios.

I might buy a GT1030 which would be stronger than any of the above and would include a dvi connection.
Aug 29, 2022
Hi,
my spec is
  1. Corsair CV Series CV650 650W 80 Plus
  2. nVidia P455 GeForce 7900 GS 256MB GDDR3 Memory 1320Mhz SDRAM PCI-E Dual DVI + S-Video High Profile, Video Graphics Card
  3. Gigabyte H610M H DDR4 motherboard Rev 1,0
  4. Intel Core i3 12100F LGA1700 CPU
  5. Crucial MX300 2.5" SSD 275G
  6. Viper AVP-EL03 case
Thanks Jon

Aug 29, 2022
Thanks - The spec I've followed was recently posted on Linus Tech Tips on YouTube as a budget base level gaming PC - I wanted to reuse as many of my old components as possible which is why I have stuck with my old graphics card and SSD - but the mobo, CPU, PSU and case are all new. Could it be that my old graphics card is just not compatible with the new components of the system?

A very old graphics card will likely be using legacy mode while the bios may default to uefi mode.

What to do??

The integrated UHD730 graphics is some 5x stronger than your old card. But, it does not have dvi connections if that is what your monitor requires.

I might buy a GT1030 which would be stronger than any of the above and would include a dvi connection.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 29, 2022
Thanks Zerk2012, I was planning to do a fresh windows install - but I cant get that far with no graphics - I was really doing this on a budget but should have opted for the integrated graphics - every day is a school day but I'm learning a lot - Thanks everyone for your help so far

Aug 29, 2022

What to do??

Hi Geofelt - Thanks for your suggestion of a GT1030 graphics card.

My spec is
  1. Corsair CV Series CV650 650W 80 Plus
  2. 16Gb RAM - HyperX FURY Black HX432C16FB3K2/8 Memory 16 GB Kit 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM
  3. Gigabyte H610M H DDR4 motherboard Rev 1,0
  4. Intel Core i3 12100F LGA1700 CPU
  5. Crucial MX300 2.5" SSD 275G
  6. Viper AVP-EL03 case
Would anyone have any other suggestions as to graphics cards that might be compatible - budget is really tight and I really wouldn't mind an ebay oldie if it was a goodie :) Thanks Jon

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm with Geofelt. If you don't need the power of a GT 1030, it would have been far better to get the i3 with the integrated GPU, which is already far more powerful than a GPU from 2006. If you're able to swap, that would be my first choice on a very tight budget.

Aug 29, 2022
Thanks Titan - I explained the situation to the supplier but it was no dice - if it was unused - then it would have been an easy swap - but I used the processor to discover my problem :(

Aug 29, 2022
I had always thought that integrated graphics was a compromise to not having a dedicated GPU - it turns out that that option would have beaten the living daylights out of the 16 year old card I'd been putting up with for years.