[SOLVED] New motherboard installed but cannot instal drivers from CD

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have upgraded me system with ASUS ROG Strix Z490 E-Gaming motherboard which came with a driver CD. After installing Win10 Pro 64 bit, I proceeded to run the driver CD to install the drivers, chipset, LAN, Wireless, onboard VGA, Audio, Bluetooth, etc.. Then it asked me to reboot. But then I found out that the LAN, Wireless, bluetooth, and I suspected the chipset drivers, all were not installed as there were yellow exclaimation marks on all these items. Now, because I have no network connection, I cannot activate, update windows, let alone downloading the latest drivers. Can anyone help? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
One more trick for you.
Get the hardware ID of your device from the device manager like this: https://www.freeprintersupport.com/find-printers-hardware-id/
Then go to the Microsoft Official website to download the driver directly from Windows update database manually: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
Here on this page, you'll get a basic driver in ".inf" format. Right click on the .inf file and click on install. After that you can install the driver manually. If you don't understand, see this guide here.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
I have just checked due to a hunch. This Win10 USB was purchased in 2015!!! So, the .NET must be so old that the drivers could not be installed. As I have no internet access from this new system, and it seemed that the update can only be installed via window updates, is there a way to download specific Win 10 update, if so, which files I will need to download first? Many thanks in advance.

PS: I cannot find out what version has been installed as it requires me to activate Windows first!!! What a silly process! I can only be sure that this USB was purchased back in 2015!

Aug 12, 2020
I have one additional idea for you, just fix your Windows Update using Windows update Assistant and it will start to auto-update the driver. After fixing your Windows update, just go to the device manager and uninstall the old driver, and then reboot your computer. It will be auto-updated after reboot.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
I have one additional idea for you, just fix your Windows Update using Windows update Assistant and it will start to auto-update the driver. After fixing your Windows update, just go to the device manager and uninstall the old driver, and then reboot your computer. It will be auto-updated after reboot.

Hi, thankyou very much for your suggestion. But there is one problem, because I cannot install any driver, I have no network connection. So I cannot run any Windows update.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Drivers need to be extracted from zip archive first, before you can install them.

Is this the first time, you're trying to install drivers?

Hi, thank you for your response. Yes, I have unzipped them. The only exe file there is AsusSetup.exe, and running it didn't do anything. I think there was a window sort of flashed and disappeared so I have no idea what happened. By the way, this was the same when trying to install the other drivers! Any idea?

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
AsusSetup.exe - is probably for some Asus utilities install.

You have to install chipset drivers first.
Then rest of them - LAN, Wireless, onboard VGA, Audio, Bluetooth.

I am sorry. I didn't make it clear. The first file that I tried to install was the chipset driver. And after extracting the zip file, the only exe file was AsusSetup.exe. I guess this was deliberately done by ASUS as if the driver was from them instead of from Intel. Anyway, it didn't install the chipset driver. It just said that there was a fatal error but didn't say what the error was about. There was no entry in event viewer.

The first file that I tried to install was the chipset driver. And after extracting the zip file, the only exe file was AsusSetup.exe.
This driver:
Version 10.1.18263.8193 2020/05/12 5.38 MBytes
Intel Chipset Driver V10.1.18263.8193 for Windows 10 64-bit---(WHQL).

Run SetupChipset.exe instead.

BTW - Intel Management Engine Interface - this is not chipset driver.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
This driver:

Run SetupChipset.exe instead.

BTW - Intel Management Engine Interface - this is not chipset driver.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. The installation went into the command prompt environment but failed in the last step saying some file is missing. The pdf is in Chinese... though the pictures are screenshots of which the majority is in English. However, there was no explanation of what was going on. However, all I could see that instead of getting two lines as in the picture, I got about 6 lines, and quite clearly it stated "failure". Sigh...

Aug 12, 2020
One more trick for you.
Get the hardware ID of your device from the device manager like this: https://www.freeprintersupport.com/find-printers-hardware-id/
Then go to the Microsoft Official website to download the driver directly from Windows update database manually: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
Here on this page, you'll get a basic driver in ".inf" format. Right click on the .inf file and click on install. After that you can install the driver manually. If you don't understand, see this guide here.

Solution