New motherboard, led lights always on.

PoPDieTy

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I have an MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum and it has lots of tiny led lights on it. These led light change between green, orange and red... they might not turn on at all. I'm no pro, but they are obviously there to let you know if something is wrong.

The problem is 1 light in specific... a really bright white light that will not turn off even if the computer is off (It lights up my whole room and its very annoying).
I need to know if this light not going off, EVER, is a bad thing. Will it burn out or something??? oh, it has a friend as well, forgot to mention him, Mr.OrangeLedLight :)

Here is a link to an image of same motherboard and the led lights locations, I need only know if its okay for them to always stay on. Hope you can see... the image got smaller :|

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/998662_198445116978082_1866995784_n.jpg

Orange Led Light is number 16 and it suppose to be green, but it is not. (Dont know why). The white one... I don't know anything about it.

I know the lights are like a code, but I don't think the white light is one of those led lights.

Solution

aredflyingbird

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

If you want to turn it off, you can turn the switch to 0 in the back of the PSU. Yes, it's ok to leave them there, they will not burn out until 100,000 hours.

PoPDieTy

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

Isn't switching the PSU switch (powering off the MB) everyday a bad idea?

aredflyingbird

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Yes and no, leaving it on could save your BIOS settings, (but I'm not sure) and leaving it off could potentially save you $1 a year. If you really annoyed with the LED being on, buy some electrical tape and cover the LED.

Solution

Miau Frito

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

OR, you could break it