New Motherboard, new ram, new CPU, system crashes usual Whea_uncorrectable

Golddeenoh

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Back story:
My wife's computer has had a rough life and after 5-ish years in service we had some issues with the USBs failing and it having a stutter start on boot. so we decided to upgrade the motherboard, of course the new motherboard need DDR4 and 1151 socketed CPUs so we upgraded to those as well.

System:
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 (new) MSI Verified good
CPU: i5 3.3GHZ 6MB cache LGA1151 (new)
RAM: HyperX 16GB (2ea. 8gb) DDR4 (new)
Graphic Card: MSI GTX 960 (carry over)
PSU: [strike]Corsair 650TX 650W[/strike] (carry Over) (edit) (rough calculations is that she needs only 550W) Upgraded to Roswell Photon 750W

First installation Failures:
1. followed the perimeters to set up windows to let it fresh set up on a new motherboard.
2. found a no post motherboard, got it replaced and a new one that actually posts and isn't DOA. used a thread off of here that i cant seem to find again to diagnose that it was the MB.

Diagnostics so far:

1b.went through all of the ones regarding Blue screen errors.
-checked connection
-checked all bios updates
-updated everything
-followed a video that was supposed to help fix it (nope)
2b.uninstalled windows update, which removed the boot file for window. (yay what fun!)
2b.1.changed hard drive because i was afraid it was either the older hard drive or windows, and reinstalled window, but it failed again.
3b. Wife had already sent in for the rebate so we can't return the board so we sent it to MSI who kept it a few weeks and sent it back. presumably they tested it and either found absolutely nothing wrong with it or fixed what minor thing they might have found. either way, same issue. I managed to get 35 minutes out of the system before it failed.

I have lost count of everything i have done to figure this out, i have attempted to check out some software but the computer has to run long enough to get to that point.

on a side note if i swap out to her old set up it works as usual with no failures.

Pretty sure i did the selective RAM trick and was successful i might revisit that to be sure. But do you all think it is just the ram or should i fear the dreaded CPU replacement?

Update: Upgraded to new Power Supply, did fresh install of Windows 10, checked the ram with another ram, and it still fails.

Verified with another RAM, different brand,speed, etc, still Whea_uncorrectable

I fell that I am out of possible option. the only new hardware i haven't been able to figure out if it is good is the CPU, but now I am out of patience and Money to get anything else. and the CPU was bought in November so i may have a task getting it returned and swapped out.

Golddeenoh

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Updated the BIOS the first time to no unveil, hopefully when they took it and sent it back they didn't remove the updated BIOS or hopefully they also checked and updated the BIOS while they had it.

I'll had it to the list of rechecks.

Golddeenoh

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
when the Boot file was lost on the old hard drive i did a fresh install on another hard drive and isolated the old hard drive to not confuse it. still failed on me.

I will make sure she has everything off the old hard drive and try that again to see if i have better luck with it.

I ask my self, what is the one thing not listed or even mentioned reading through all of your post.

Apart from replacing virtually the cpu, motherboard and the ram of the system and using the GTX 960 card from the prior built system.

Including doing a fresh install of windows OS also.

Then I consider what you remarked about the usb ports on the old motherboard failing.
Let`s presume on the old motherboard the usb ports in fact didn`t fail at all, but the real problem was that Psu of the system had developed a problem at delivering a stable and steady 5+v from one of it`s power rails.

Remembering it`s the only one thing left of the system that was probably also carried across from the old system to the new one.

And that Weha error messages relate to a unstable voltage in most cases being provided to the cpu of the system since it can last up to 35 mins before it crashes.

And then think about if the board was tested by Msi them self but reported not problems with the motherboard what changed.

Well it would of been tested in all likely hood with another power supply unit would it not have when at Msi for testing ?

Yes !

So what part of the system is causing the error, take a guess ?
Simple logic and deduction tells you the PSU you are using currently.

You see in many peoples eyes a Power supply is not considered as one of the critical components of a PC, but the real fact before anything else at all it is of the highest priority that it works and functions as it should do 100% of the time the system is used, Golddeenoh.

Every single other component of the system relies on it to be so if you stop to think about it.

And have you replaced the PSU, or tested the system with a diffirent PSU to power the system, or used a new one Out of all the tests you have done Golddeenoh.

Where the answer is no not yet from yourself Golddeenoh.

Golddeenoh

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
She is only running 650W power supply, I had that though briefly that the power supply could be inadequate for the upgrade ram, CPU, and motherboard. I will try the simpler solutions that require less money and if it still doesn't work out then the Power supply is what I will get her. I did calculations when i originally built the computer for her and she was close to the usage for the power supply. I'm sure i can recalculate it again and see how much she went over on this go or if it changed any.

Golddeenoh

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
I managed more time to check on it today. the ram swap didn't do anything. I am ordering a new PSU in hopes that the current one is the fault the whole time.

Golddeenoh

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
So far it has not worked I can't even get a new OS on a new hard drive to work. MSI has returned the motherboard for the 3rd check. It appears that there are only a few options.
1. The processor is faulty and has been the issue the whole time.
2. The drivers on the motherboard are not comparable with Windows.
3. MSI doesn't actually check the motherboard but simply returns it with out checking it beyond initial boot.

I doubt the later option are the culprits.

Golddeenoh

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
it would appear that the issues was a grounding fault from the processor heat sink, put the factory one on and it hasn't has an issue since, the wife has used it a good bit.