[SOLVED] New motherboard, no post, no signal

Oct 29, 2020
Okay so i recently got a new motherboard after having problems with my network interface card, so basically i got the motherboard, i tripple checked everything so that it all was compatible, even the psu, but now when i installed everything, no post, no signal on monitor, i got the computer to post one time, it said cpu fan error because i didn't have my cpu fan installed during troubleshooting, i've checked the dimm slots, the ram, tried the ram in another computer finding out that it is not the problem, my computer doesnt fully turn on meaning that when listning i cant hear the computer actually starting, only the fans. I am soooo frustrated. I have also tried removing the gpu and using the on board graphics which also didn't work. I've made sure to connect all the power supply connectors but i fear it might be either my psu or my new motherboard. Please help...

Solution
Should i make sure to download motherboard drivers and that stuff now while i can start my computer and then restart the computer with the new motherboard in and then proceed to hitting Del as i start the computer up?
I'm not sure how that would work unless you installed the drivers as well with the old motherboard still in - and that could make your situation even worse. Maybe someone else here with more Windows knowledge will chime in?

I'm more comfortable with Mtop's suggestion of reinstalling Windows and let the installation decide on generic (but working) drivers for the new motherboard's chipset. If you have a spare SSD laying around, disconnect your existing boot drive and connect the spare and install on...
Oct 29, 2020
Cpu: intel core i7 8700k
Gpu: geforce gtx 1660 super
Psu: antec vp550p (i think)
New motherboard: Asus prime z390-p
Old motherboard: asus prime z370-p ii
Ram: Hyperx fury rgb 16gb 3200mhz
Cpu fan: cooler master hyper 212 evo
I think that's all.

Okay so i recently got a new motherboard after having problems with my network interface card, so basically i got the motherboard, i tripple checked everything so that it all was compatible, even the psu, but now when i installed everything, no post, no signal on monitor, i got the computer to post one time, it said cpu fan error because i didn't have my cpu fan installed during troubleshooting, i've checked the dimm slots, the ram, tried the ram in another computer finding out that it is not the problem, my computer doesnt fully turn on meaning that when listning i cant hear the computer actually starting, only the fans. I am soooo frustrated. I have also tried removing the gpu and using the on board graphics which also didn't work. I've made sure to connect all the power supply connectors but i fear it might be either my psu or my new motherboard. Please help...
Did you try spamming the Delete key to get into BIOS?

Oct 29, 2020
No i didn't, the old motherboard worked flawlessly, the hard drive where windows were installed were still installed on the new motherboard, shouldn't windows already have been installed, since it is already installed and ready to go on my old motherboard? Anyhow, i suspect that my motherboard is faulty therefore i'm going to return it, not sure if i will get a new one but it's worth a try. Worst case senario i have to get a seperate NIC so i can have network like before eventho i keep my old motherboard, the old motherboard is great except for the NIC that's broken.

No i didn't, the old motherboard worked flawlessly, the hard drive where windows were installed were still installed on the new motherboard, shouldn't windows already have been installed, since it is already installed and ready to go on my old motherboard? Anyhow, i suspect that my motherboard is faulty therefore i'm going to return it, not sure if i will get a new one but it's worth a try. Worst case senario i have to get a seperate NIC so i can have network like before eventho i keep my old motherboard, the old motherboard is great except for the NIC that's broken.
Then Mtop is correct. It might not boot into Windows because of the chipset drivers on your boot drive. Typically you get into the BIOS by repeatedly hitting the Delete key while it is trying to boot. If successful, your motherboard's BIOS window will appear.

Oct 29, 2020
Then Mtop is correct. It might not boot into Windows because of the chipset drivers on your boot drive. Typically you get into the BIOS by repeatedly hitting the Delete key while it is trying to boot. If successful, your motherboard's BIOS window will appear.
So you mean i should install the new motherboard and as i start it eventho it says no signal, i should spam Del key? Will it work? :D

Oct 29, 2020
Should i make sure to download motherboard drivers and that stuff now while i can start my computer and then restart the computer with the new motherboard in and then proceed to hitting Del as i start the computer up?

I'm not sure how that would work unless you installed the drivers as well with the old motherboard still in - and that could make your situation even worse. Maybe someone else here with more Windows knowledge will chime in?

I'm more comfortable with Mtop's suggestion of reinstalling Windows and let the installation decide on generic (but working) drivers for the new motherboard's chipset. If you have a spare SSD laying around, disconnect your existing boot drive and connect the spare and install on that drive first. That will save you from trashing your existing boot drive if the installation doesn't work. If the new motherboard is able to install Windows on the spare SSD, then the new motherboard most likely isn't an issue. I know this is a pain and it may turn out the new motherboard is faulty as you suggest, but that's my suggestion. If you're not worried about potentially trashing your current Windows installation, then just use your existing boot drive to reinstall. Once you get it to install Windows, on whatever drive, the last step would be to download and install the new motherboard drivers from the Asus website.

Solution
Oct 29, 2020

I'm more comfortable with Mtop's suggestion of reinstalling Windows and let the installation decide on generic (but working) drivers for the new motherboard's chipset. If you have a spare SSD laying around, disconnect your existing boot drive and connect the spare and install on that drive first. That will save you from trashing your existing boot drive if the installation doesn't work. If the new motherboard is able to install Windows on the spare SSD, then the new motherboard most likely isn't an issue. I know this is a pain and it may turn out the new motherboard is faulty as you suggest, but that's my suggestion. If you're not worried about potentially trashing your current Windows installation, then just use your existing boot drive to reinstall. Once you get it to install Windows, on whatever drive, the last step would be to download and install the new motherboard drivers from the Asus website.
Thank you. I will try this and come back with an answer whether it worked or not :)

Oct 29, 2020

You sir... is an absolute legend. It worked. You literally saved me from spending another 150 dollers on a new motherboard. You are the best and thank you so much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts