New motherboard - no video

(See threads starting with "The fire is out . . ." for the background)

Got the new motherboard from DFI (NFII Ultra Infinity). Same as old
motherboard. Athlon XP 2500 CPU.

When powering on, the system seems to work except there is no video. The
monitor never comes on, like it's not getting a signal. Carefully checked
cable connector to video card (Nvidia MX440 AGP 128MB). Pins and sockets
seem to be fine. Reseated video card several times, with no success.

Double and triple checked everything I did, but still no video.

What next?

Thanks,
Craig

jad

integrated video is enabled?

"Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> (See threads starting with "The fire is out . . ." for the background)
>
> Got the new motherboard from DFI (NFII Ultra Infinity). Same as old
> motherboard. Athlon XP 2500 CPU.
>
> When powering on, the system seems to work except there is no video. The
> monitor never comes on, like it's not getting a signal. Carefully checked
> cable connector to video card (Nvidia MX440 AGP 128MB). Pins and sockets
> seem to be fine. Reseated video card several times, with no success.
>
> Double and triple checked everything I did, but still no video.
>
> What next?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

NoOne

I would check to see if your power supply is strong enough. I had a similar
issue with my old comp when I switch out motherboard. In my case, the
motherboard is different. My good graphic did not work any longer. First
thought the graphic card is out but later realize that the power supply is
not strong enough for the new board. You have same motherboard but maybe
newer component somewhere pulling more current. Does not hurt to try a new
stronger power supply.

"Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> (See threads starting with "The fire is out . . ." for the background)
>
> Got the new motherboard from DFI (NFII Ultra Infinity). Same as old
> motherboard. Athlon XP 2500 CPU.
>
> When powering on, the system seems to work except there is no video. The
> monitor never comes on, like it's not getting a signal. Carefully checked
> cable connector to video card (Nvidia MX440 AGP 128MB). Pins and sockets
> seem to be fine. Reseated video card several times, with no success.
>
> Double and triple checked everything I did, but still no video.
>
> What next?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

No integrated video on this board.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> integrated video is enabled?
>
> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > (See threads starting with "The fire is out . . ." for the background)
> >
> > Got the new motherboard from DFI (NFII Ultra Infinity). Same as old
> > motherboard. Athlon XP 2500 CPU.
> >
> > When powering on, the system seems to work except there is no video.
The
> > monitor never comes on, like it's not getting a signal. Carefully
checked
> > cable connector to video card (Nvidia MX440 AGP 128MB). Pins and
sockets
> > seem to be fine. Reseated video card several times, with no success.
> >
> > Double and triple checked everything I did, but still no video.
> >
> > What next?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Craig

jad

got a second AGP video card?
AGP has to be enabled in cmos?
Reset CMOS?

> No integrated video on this board.
>

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> integrated video is enabled?
>>
>> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > (See threads starting with "The fire is out . . ." for the background)
>> >
>> > Got the new motherboard from DFI (NFII Ultra Infinity). Same as old
>> > motherboard. Athlon XP 2500 CPU.
>> >
>> > When powering on, the system seems to work except there is no video.
> The
>> > monitor never comes on, like it's not getting a signal. Carefully
> checked
>> > cable connector to video card (Nvidia MX440 AGP 128MB). Pins and
> sockets
>> > seem to be fine. Reseated video card several times, with no success.
>> >
>> > Double and triple checked everything I did, but still no video.
>> >
>> > What next?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Craig

ram in last socket instead of first

this done it to me recently

"Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> No integrated video on this board.
>

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > integrated video is enabled?
> >
> > "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > (See threads starting with "The fire is out . . ." for the background)
> > >
> > > Got the new motherboard from DFI (NFII Ultra Infinity). Same as old
> > > motherboard. Athlon XP 2500 CPU.
> > >
> > > When powering on, the system seems to work except there is no video.
> The
> > > monitor never comes on, like it's not getting a signal. Carefully
> checked
> > > cable connector to video card (Nvidia MX440 AGP 128MB). Pins and
> sockets
> > > seem to be fine. Reseated video card several times, with no success.
> > >
> > > Double and triple checked everything I did, but still no video.
> > >
> > > What next?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Craig

The RAM modules are in the correct slots - same ones as in the previous
install.

"Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBBbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> ram in last socket instead of first
>
> this done it to me recently
>

> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > No integrated video on this board.
> >

> > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > > integrated video is enabled?
> > >
> > > "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > The
> > checked
> > sockets

How to reset CMOS? There's a jumper called Clear CMOS. Do I just move the
jumper to that position and power up? Do I then have to move the jumper
back to Normal?

> got a second AGP video card?
> AGP has to be enabled in cmos?
> Reset CMOS?
>
> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > No integrated video on this board.
> >

> > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> >> integrated video is enabled?
> >>
> >> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > The
> > checked
> > sockets

no you dont power up

put the jumper on the opposite 2 pins leave for about 10 secs then replace
in original position

or take out the button cell battery ....prise it out with a blade while
holding in the spring clip

it could just be that your notherboard doesnt like the card........my
chaintech 9cjs wouldnt take an ati card but had no problems with nvidia
which "funnily enough" is the very cards that chaintech sell!

then i found out this was common with chaintech!

> How to reset CMOS? There's a jumper called Clear CMOS. Do I just move
the
> jumper to that position and power up? Do I then have to move the jumper
> back to Normal?
>
> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > got a second AGP video card?
> > AGP has to be enabled in cmos?
> > Reset CMOS?
> >
> > "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > No integrated video on this board.
> > >

> > > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message

> background)

> > > The
> > > checked
> > > sockets

No success yet. I tried the Clear CMOS, but no change.

I reinstalled the old motherboard (same model, but had a fire that damaged
the on-board Firewire connector). The old mobo strated right up WITH VIDEO.
Same setup, same video card, etc. So I may have gotten a bad board from
DFI.

I'll get in touch with them and see if they can send another one.

Craig

> no you dont power up
>
> put the jumper on the opposite 2 pins leave for about 10 secs then replace
> in original position
>
> or take out the button cell battery ....prise it out with a blade while
> holding in the spring clip
>
> it could just be that your notherboard doesnt like the card........my
> chaintech 9cjs wouldnt take an ati card but had no problems with nvidia
> which "funnily enough" is the very cards that chaintech sell!
>
> then i found out this was common with chaintech!
>

> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > How to reset CMOS? There's a jumper called Clear CMOS. Do I just move
> the
> > jumper to that position and power up? Do I then have to move the jumper
> > back to Normal?
> >
> > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > > got a second AGP video card?
> > > AGP has to be enabled in cmos?
> > > Reset CMOS?
> > >
> > > "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > background)

> old

> video.
Carefully
> success.

"Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>(See threads starting with "The fire is out . . ." for the
>background)
>Got the new motherboard from DFI (NFII Ultra Infinity). Same as
>old motherboard. Athlon XP 2500 CPU.
>When powering on, the system seems to work except there is no
>video. The monitor never comes on, like it's not getting a signal.
> Carefully checked cable connector to video card (Nvidia MX440 AGP
>128MB).
[according to later posts, CMOS has been cleared]

I don't understand why, but some setups will not boot to an AGP card
when video primary is set to PCI [the default].

I would try a PCI video card, if available.

Pins and sockets
>seem to be fine. Reseated video card several times, with no
>success.
>
>Double and triple checked everything I did, but still no video.
>
>What next?
>
>Thanks,
>Craig

Thanks, but that's one spare I don't have on hand. And as I noted in
another post, after I reinstalled the old motherboard, it started up
normally.

Craig

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message
> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >(See threads starting with "The fire is out . . ." for the
> >background)
> >Got the new motherboard from DFI (NFII Ultra Infinity). Same as
> >old motherboard. Athlon XP 2500 CPU.
> >When powering on, the system seems to work except there is no
> >video. The monitor never comes on, like it's not getting a signal.
> > Carefully checked cable connector to video card (Nvidia MX440 AGP
> >128MB).
> [according to later posts, CMOS has been cleared]
>
> I don't understand why, but some setups will not boot to an AGP card
> when video primary is set to PCI [the default].
>
> I would try a PCI video card, if available.
>

> Pins and sockets
> >seem to be fine. Reseated video card several times, with no
> >success.
> >
> >Double and triple checked everything I did, but still no video.
> >
> >What next?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Craig

That is not conclusive unless you tell what the primary video
setting happens to be on the old mainboard.

"Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks, but that's one spare I don't have on hand. And as I noted
>in another post, after I reinstalled the old motherboard, it
>started up normally.
>
>Craig
>
>"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message
>> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I don't understand why, but some setups will not boot to an AGP
>> card when video primary is set to PCI [the default].
>>
>> I would try a PCI video card, if available.

>From: "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com>
>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>Subject: Re: New motherboard - no video
>Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:17:06 GMT

I'm not sure I understand. The original mobo started just fine with the AGP
card even when I first bought it. That's the only video card that's ever
been in it.

> That is not conclusive unless you tell what the primary video
> setting happens to be on the old mainboard.
>
> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, but that's one spare I don't have on hand. And as I noted
> >in another post, after I reinstalled the old motherboard, it
> >started up normally.
> >
> >Craig
> >
> >"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message
> >> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> I don't understand why, but some setups will not boot to an AGP
> >> card when video primary is set to PCI [the default].
> >>
> >> I would try a PCI video card, if available.

> >From: "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com>
> >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> >Subject: Re: New motherboard - no video
> >Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:17:06 GMT

"Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure I understand. The original mobo started just fine
>with the AGP card even when I first bought it. That's the only
>video card that's ever been in it.

Again, it depends on what the primary video was set to. Otherwise
you cannot tell.

At your own risk. You can test easily enough by simply changing the
BIOS setting to primary PCI, or better would be to clear the CMOS
(assuming the BIOS default is PCI). That would not be an attempt to
get your AGP card running, it would be to tell whether you need
another mainboard or whether you just need a way to change the BIOS
setting back to AGP as primary video on the new mainboard.

(I appreciate your effort to help.) How do I change the BIOS to primary PCI
when I have no video? I tried clearing the CMOS (placed jumper on the Clear
CMOS pins, also removed battery when that didn't work).

> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure I understand. The original mobo started just fine
> >with the AGP card even when I first bought it. That's the only
> >video card that's ever been in it.
>
> Again, it depends on what the primary video was set to. Otherwise
> you cannot tell.
>
> At your own risk. You can test easily enough by simply changing the
> BIOS setting to primary PCI, or better would be to clear the CMOS
> (assuming the BIOS default is PCI). That would not be an attempt to
> get your AGP card running, it would be to tell whether you need
> another mainboard or whether you just need a way to change the BIOS
> setting back to AGP as primary video on the new mainboard.

DFI is sending me another replacement board as soon as I send this one back.
Very easy to deal with. One of them actually called me at home to make sure
things were going to work out with our back-and-forth dealings.

Can't complain about that.

> (I appreciate your effort to help.) How do I change the BIOS to primary
PCI
> when I have no video? I tried clearing the CMOS (placed jumper on the
Clear
> CMOS pins, also removed battery when that didn't work).
>

> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message
> > "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I'm not sure I understand. The original mobo started just fine
> > >with the AGP card even when I first bought it. That's the only
> > >video card that's ever been in it.
> >
> > Again, it depends on what the primary video was set to. Otherwise
> > you cannot tell.
> >
> > At your own risk. You can test easily enough by simply changing the
> > BIOS setting to primary PCI, or better would be to clear the CMOS
> > (assuming the BIOS default is PCI). That would not be an attempt to
> > get your AGP card running, it would be to tell whether you need
> > another mainboard or whether you just need a way to change the BIOS
> > setting back to AGP as primary video on the new mainboard.

On your old mainboard, the one you referred to in your prior post. I
already know you cannot access the new mainboard. But you said that
you can get the old mainboard to work. Now, to test whether or not
the video primary setting prevents your AGP card from working in the
new mainboard, you can use the old mainboard. All you have to do is
set the primary video to PCI and restart, or clear the CMOS on the
old mainboard. I'm talking about the old mainboard, the one you say
is functioning.

"Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>(I appreciate your effort to help.) How do I change the BIOS to
>primary PCI when I have no video? I tried clearing the CMOS
>(placed jumper on the Clear CMOS pins, also removed battery when
>that didn't work).
>

>"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message
>> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure I understand. The original mobo started just fine
>>> with the AGP card even when I first bought it. That's the only
>>> video card that's ever been in it.
>>
>> Again, it depends on what the primary video was set to. Otherwise
>> you cannot tell.
>>
>> At your own risk. You can test easily enough by simply changing
>> the BIOS setting to primary PCI, or better would be to clear the
>> CMOS (assuming the BIOS default is PCI). That would not be an
>> attempt to get your AGP card running, it would be to tell whether
>> you need another mainboard or whether you just need a way to
>> change the BIOS setting back to AGP as primary video on the new
>> mainboard.

I`ve only built about 12 pcs but on all of those it didnt matter a hoot
whether it was set to pci or agp....I think that only applies to old
motherboards.

What if he done as you say on the old motherboard and changed it to
pci....he would then end up with no video on that if his old mb WAS one of
the fussy ones!

Craig....let us know how you get on with the new mb!

> On your old mainboard, the one you referred to in your prior post. I
> already know you cannot access the new mainboard. But you said that
> you can get the old mainboard to work. Now, to test whether or not
> the video primary setting prevents your AGP card from working in the
> new mainboard, you can use the old mainboard. All you have to do is
> set the primary video to PCI and restart, or clear the CMOS on the
> old mainboard. I'm talking about the old mainboard, the one you say
> is functioning.
>
> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >(I appreciate your effort to help.) How do I change the BIOS to
> >primary PCI when I have no video? I tried clearing the CMOS
> >(placed jumper on the Clear CMOS pins, also removed battery when
> >that didn't work).
> >

> >"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message

> >> Again, it depends on what the primary video was set to. Otherwise
> >> you cannot tell.
> >>
> >> At your own risk. You can test easily enough by simply changing
> >> the BIOS setting to primary PCI, or better would be to clear the
> >> CMOS (assuming the BIOS default is PCI). That would not be an
> >> attempt to get your AGP card running, it would be to tell whether
> >> you need another mainboard or whether you just need a way to
> >> change the BIOS setting back to AGP as primary video on the new
> >> mainboard.

"Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:

>I`ve only built about 12 pcs but on all of those it didnt matter a hoot whether it was set to pci or agp....I think that only applies
>to old motherboards.

Which doesn't mean much, depending partly on how many used the same
mainboard.

>What if he done as you say on the old motherboard and changed it to
>pci....he would then end up with no video on that

That's right, and that would provide a good lead to anyone in the
same situation. In a typical situation, finding a PCI video card
might be a lot easier than going through an RMA return process.

Ginchy wrote:

> I`ve only built about 12 pcs but on all of those it didnt matter a hoot
> whether it was set to pci or agp....I think that only applies to old
> motherboards.
>
> What if he done as you say on the old motherboard and changed it to
> pci....he would then end up with no video on that if his old mb WAS one of
> the fussy ones!
>
> Craig....let us know how you get on with the new mb!

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
Init. Display First
AGP / PCI

This setting is generally only a concern if you have both an AGP and PCI
display adapter installed in the system.

Initialize the AGP or PCI video display before initializing any other
display device in the system.

Common symptom:
The desired display will not be "Primary" under Windows.

Default settings:
The setting for this option will depend on which display adapter (PCI or
AGP) you wish to be "Primary" in the system.

I wrote:

>... some setups will not boot to an AGP card when video primary is
>set to PCI [the default].

Never mind that. Any decent mainboard should find the AGP card no
matter what the primary setting is, AGP or PCI.

After some negative testing, I can only blame that mistaken idea on
an oversight involving dual/multiple monitor setups which I have
experienced. If only one monitor is being used, of course you have
to make sure that single monitor is connected to the correct video
card output.