Question New motherboard, old HDD

Apr 18, 2019
Recently my replaced old, dead mobo with an ASUS rog b450f. When I reach the BIOS screen to get ready to boot, only my DVD drive is being detected as bootable. I've gone through a whole mess of troubleshooting within the BIOS that I read from other threads but I'm still stuck. This mobo has 6 SATA ports and I've been trying all of them yet only the DVD is showing up as bootable (it's also showing that the port is being switched from 1 - 6 in the BIOS). Some people are saying my HDD is fried but I'm trying to rule out all other possibilities before going and replacing it. Unfortunately I do not have access to another PC to test my HDD there. Anyone else have this issue before?

Recently my replaced old, dead mobo with an ASUS rog b450f. When I reach the BIOS screen to get ready to boot, only my DVD drive is being detected as bootable. I've gone through a whole mess of troubleshooting within the BIOS that I read from other threads but I'm still stuck. This mobo has 6 SATA ports and I've been trying all of them yet only the DVD is showing up as bootable (it's also showing that the port is being switched from 1 - 6 in the BIOS). Some people are saying my HDD is fried but I'm trying to rule out all other possibilities before going and replacing it. Unfortunately I do not have access to another PC to test my HDD there. Anyone else have this issue before?

It is possibly a setting in your bios- have you have a good look through all the boot options in there? I have a machine where under the main 'boot priority' section it doesn't allow you to select an SSD or HDD as bootable (only removable media like a DVD drive or USB key). For some reason the disk has to be selected as the preferred bootable hard disk in a separate menu first- and only then is it listed as an option in the boot priority list. It had me scratching my head for quite a while until I figured that out.

It may not be the case, this was on an MSI motherboard however this was also AM4 (b350 chipset) so it could be something to do with how AMD have setup the bios?

I checked several boot options and the lists only give me the HL-DL-st dvdram option as #1 with nothing in the list. Where would this separate menu be?

Well on the MSI bios I was using there was a separate menu for 'hard disk priority' which had to be set first- then whatever was set as the bootable drive there was listed as an option in the main boot priority menu. Both of these options were under the boot section of the bios (although the hard disk priority option wasn't obvious at first glance). It may not be the same, different make of motherboard- just a thought.

Apr 18, 2019
Is the power cable plugged into the hard disk?
Have you cleared the bios?
If by power cable you mean the SATA going from the HDD to mobo, then yes. I haven't cleared the bios yet, that would be removing the battery from the mobo? I'll try it now.

EDIT: Resetting BIOS did the trick. Thank you so much friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdrkf

TRENDING THREADS