New Motherboard Opinion - Need Voltage Adjustment for CAS4

chemchem

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
Upon putting together my rig sometime in July, to my dismay I discovered there was no voltage adjustment for the ram in the motherboard bios (ASUS P5B-VM DO), leaving my ram at 5-5-5-18 instead of 4-4-4-12 (corsair xms2). Well I figured I didn't want to deal with RMA'ing anything thought maybe it was just a absolute limitation of a Micro-Atx board (x qpack formfactor case). I decided to check out prices on another gig of ram since I thought 1 gig wasn't enough for games and applications for me. Checking through some motherboards I found some gigabit boards with a different chipset that supports voltage changes. My question is, is it worth dropping another 130 bucks for this new motherboard, (its to late to return this and possibly sell this one i think) just for the faster memory timings?

-Computer will BSOD with correct timings and will run fine underclocked.
-BIOS update seemes unlikely, it appears that the problem is a limitation to the chipset.

My ASUS P5B-VM DO runs 3GB PC6400 at 800mhz. 5-5-5-12. The 965G is not a great O'cing chip due to the limited ability of the board's voltage regulators. The 965P (full size board) is a great overclocker. You may have to go with a full sized board to get a full set of O'cing features in BIOS. This would be true with any Mfg. If you want better performance than a micro system has to offer, you would have to upgrade to a full featured MB. HTH.

chemchem

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
Thanks badge, i'm not really concerned with OC'ing cause i knew what i was getting into when i put together the small form factor. its convienent but i actually think for my next rig i'll go back to regular sized cases. back to the case at hand though, i atleast want my ram to run at its rated speeds so its kind of up to whether its worth it to dish out for a new motherboard that will meet the ram voltage requirements.