[SOLVED] New motherboard opinions

mtracy1991

Reputable
Hi all,

I am looking for a new MOBO with potential 1 Gigabit network port and compatible with my AM4 Ryzen 2700x; ill be upgrading this in the future to a 5600x. All information is sincerely appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
I dont think a 2700X will work on a B550? (please correct me if I'm wrong.) So you could run a 2700X on a B450 and with a BIOS update it should run a 5600X, although not the best option. An X570 board will run both but they are more expensive.
Officially, no it's not supported. But unofficially many, if not all, mfr's of B550 boards have included code in their BIOS to run 2000 and even 1000 series CPU's.

You can get a utility called "SMU Checker" that looks into BIOS and tells you which SMU's, and their version, included in a BIOS. The SMU is the code that intializes and runs each CPU. So download the latest BIOS for the board you want and look for an SMU for "Pinnacle Ridge", the Ryzen 2000 architecture code name.

My Tuf...
I dont think a 2700X will work on a B550? (please correct me if I'm wrong.) So you could run a 2700X on a B450 and with a BIOS update it should run a 5600X, although not the best option. An X570 board will run both but they are more expensive.

Officially, no it's not supported. But unofficially many, if not all, mfr's of B550 boards have included code in their BIOS to run 2000 and even 1000 series CPU's.

You can get a utility called "SMU Checker" that looks into BIOS and tells you which SMU's, and their version, included in a BIOS. The SMU is the code that intializes and runs each CPU. So download the latest BIOS for the board you want and look for an SMU for "Pinnacle Ridge", the Ryzen 2000 architecture code name.

My Tuf B550m Gaming Plus has an SMU for Pinnacle Ridge and Summit Ridge and runs my 1700 CPU perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution