[SOLVED] New motherboard or ram?

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
Hey, I need to find a new motherboard that fits my case, the hp motherboard that i have does not support overclocking so my 3200mhz ram is stuck at 2133mhz.
This is the motherboard: https://support.hp.com/co-es/document/c06449662

The other thing i was thinking: The default ram sticks were just green, slim ram sticks. I think it's JEDEC ram, idk what that is but i read that that is the ram that the motherboard detects as 3200mhz correctly. Maybe i could just buy 2x8gb JEDEC instead of having to replace everything on another motherboard.
If i buy 3200mhz jedec memory will it show up as 3200mhz without having to use bios?

Specs:
1660super mini
ryzen 5 4600G
2 slots ram, 2x8gb 3200mhz (stuck at 2133 cause of the stupid motherboard)
m.2 ssd 256gb, 1tb hdd, 480gb ssd.

Solution
Thats a AMD B550A chipset which is basically your B450 rebranded for OEMs and system integrators. And just like every other Ryzen chipset, it should have AMP or XMP for AMD in BIOS. You have to enable that in BIOS to get 3200mhz speed from your RAM. That applies to any board you buy including this one. 2133 is the base speed of DDR4 and it will show the same on every board until you enable XMP...
https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/enable-xmp-amd-board-9989.html
You can also check your motherboard manual on how to enable it, if you got one.
Thats a AMD B550A chipset which is basically your B450 rebranded for OEMs and system integrators. And just like every other Ryzen chipset, it should have AMP or XMP for AMD in BIOS. You have to enable that in BIOS to get 3200mhz speed from your RAM. That applies to any board you buy including this one. 2133 is the base speed of DDR4 and it will show the same on every board until you enable XMP...

Solution

Bagaskoro Olga Yonear

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hey, I need to find a new motherboard that fits my case, the hp motherboard that i have does not support overclocking so my 3200mhz ram is stuck at 2133mhz.
This is the motherboard: https://support.hp.com/co-es/document/c06449662

The other thing i was thinking: The default ram sticks were just green, slim ram sticks. I think it's JEDEC ram, idk what that is but i read that that is the ram that the motherboard detects as 3200mhz correctly. Maybe i could just buy 2x8gb JEDEC instead of having to replace everything on another motherboard.
If i buy 3200mhz jedec memory will it show up as 3200mhz without having to use bios?

Specs:
1660super mini
ryzen 5 4600G
2 slots ram, 2x8gb 3200mhz (stuck at 2133 cause of the stupid motherboard)
m.2 ssd 256gb, 1tb hdd, 480gb ssd.

Is it a prebuild PC? Can you give us your CPU Case and motherboatd image / photo?

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
There is absolutely nothing mentioning memory/ram on the BIOS :(

Bagaskoro Olga Yonear

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
For overclock: Different motherboard, different BIOS, some bios just doesn't has some features, and some BIOS locked some features. It's just depends on its manufacturer. BUT! I don't recommend an overclock with basic / minimum hardware and knowledge.

Prebuild PC is hard to modify, mostly impossible. It's like a fusion of PC and Portable Notebook.

To answer your question, change motherboard or ram:

After I look at the board photos.
MAYBE, from the form factor itself (Micro ATX, possible to get Mini ITX).
There is a lot of mobo choices out there with this form factor.

BUT!!
First, I cannot guarantee that the screw holes will match with your case.
Second, the I/O side will not suit with your case.
Third, the power supply doesn't has a proper universal power cables to mobo.
In this case, you need to get new mobo, case & psu.

Now about RAM.
You should really check your RAM, make sure it's really 3200Mhz.
If you don't believe with the stickers on it.
Download CPUZ, install, open it, the see in tab "Memory".
At least you got it true 3200Mhz.

If I were you, and having only these 2 choices, new mobo or new ram.
I personally will chose new mobo, case and psu.
Expanding the capability to upgrade later.

Pre-builts like HP and Dell lock the bios so you cant OC or change the ram speed. Its one of these you get what you pay for, if you want faster ram you have to specify when you buy it. Otherwise your locked at the speed they sell it to you.

Yeah it sucks but thats how they make their money, sorry it cant go faster then what it was sold at but they will sure sell you a new one to get that faster speed :tearsofjoy:

Like Bagaskoro said, to change motherboard you will also need a new case and PSU

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
Right now im playing another really demanding title, "Scum". It runs at 70-80~ fps on high settings... 100% gpu usage 30% cpu usage.. RAM does not have such an impact in performance, it's just in some titles that i don't get the true gpu power.
I think i will just keep the mobo and stuff like it is right now, also, wouldn't jedec ram go at 3200mhz by default? idk what jedec is but i read some of that online.

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
For overclock: Different motherboard, different BIOS, some bios just doesn't has some features, and some BIOS locked some features. It's just depends on its manufacturer. BUT! I don't recommend an overclock with basic / minimum hardware and knowledge.

Prebuild PC is hard to modify, mostly impossible. It's like a fusion of PC and Portable Notebook.

To answer your question, change motherboard or ram:

After I look at the board photos.
MAYBE, from the form factor itself (Micro ATX, possible to get Mini ITX).
There is a lot of mobo choices out there with this form factor.

BUT!!
First, I cannot guarantee that the screw holes will match with your case.
Second, the I/O side will not suit with your case.
Third, the power supply doesn't has a proper universal power cables to mobo.
In this case, you need to get new mobo, case & psu.

Now about RAM.
You should really check your RAM, make sure it's really 3200Mhz.
If you don't believe with the stickers on it.
Download CPUZ, install, open it, the see in tab "Memory".
At least you got it true 3200Mhz.

If I were you, and having only these 2 choices, new mobo or new ram.
I personally will chose new mobo, case and psu.
Expanding the capability to upgrade later.
ya, the ram is 3200mhz, i bought it from vengeance, the box says 3200mhz too, its the hp mobo rip

Right now im playing another really demanding title, "Scum". It runs at 70-80~ fps on high settings... 100% gpu usage 30% cpu usage.. RAM does not have such an impact in performance, it's just in some titles that i don't get the true gpu power.
I think i will just keep the mobo and stuff like it is right now, also, wouldn't jedec ram go at 3200mhz by default? idk what jedec is but i read some of that online.
JEDEC is a standardising organization for System Memory, which defines memory standards and specifications...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEDEC_memory_standards

By default DDR4 base speed is 2133mhz.