Question New motherboard, PC won't turn on ?

uchiharecker

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
Hi all, I bought a Gigabyte B550M DS3H motherboard and installed it, however my PC won't turn on. My cpu is ryzen 1700. The only things I can think of that could be wrong is that the cpu has no heatsink/cooler (I know, probably a stupid idea to try to turn it on without a cooler but I just wanted to see if it worked), and that my PSU only has a 4-pin cpu power connector while the motherboard has an 8-pin. Although from what I read, these two things shouldn't keep my PC from turning on.

What could be the problem?

Forgot to include a video of my motherboard, sorry, here it is

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Hello! If i am not wrong... Your Cpu is not compatible with that chipset. Check the owner manual and the Cpu compatibility page. As i read online your manual says you need to get a ryzen 3000 series Cpu or a B350-B450 motherboard in order to work. Are those parts new?

Im sorry :confused2:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all, I bought a Gigabyte B550M DS3H motherboard and installed it, however my PC won't turn on. My cpu is ryzen 1700. The only things I can think of that could be wrong is that the cpu has no heatsink/cooler (I know, probably a stupid idea to try to turn it on without a cooler but I just wanted to see if it worked), and that my PSU only has a 4-pin cpu power connector while the motherboard has an 8-pin. Although from what I read, these two things shouldn't keep my PC from turning on.

What could be the problem?

Forgot to include a video of my motherboard, sorry, here it is
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-10-11-12-13/support#support-cpu

uchiharecker

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
Hello! If i am not wrong... Your Cpu is not compatible with that chipset. Check the owner manual and the Cpu compatibility page. As i read online your manual says you need to get a ryzen 3000 series Cpu or a B350-B450 motherboard in order to work. Are those parts new?

Im sorry :confused2:

Wow, thank you both so much! I had no idea older ryzen processors wouldn't be compatible with a newer mobo, so the thought of it didn't even cross my mind. I have a 5800x on the way and I received the mobo earlier so I couldn't wait. What a rookie mistake 😅😅

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Wow, thank you both so much! I had no idea older ryzen processors wouldn't be compatible with a newer mobo, so the thought of it didn't even cross my mind. I have a 5800x on the way and I received the mobo earlier so I couldn't wait. What a rookie mistake 😅😅
Oh nice thing that you can solve your problem!
I recommend to get the 5700x for the lower price and very similar performance if not the same.
If the 5800x or 5700x doesnt work try to get a proper power supply, with 8 pin cpu, may not be enough watts with only 4 pin. Also consider your cooling.
The thing AM4 promissed is to uprade from 1000 series or 2000 series with a mobo a320, b450, x370,x470, to newer gens of ryzen by updating the BIOS (not backwards), cause the support list takes space on the bios memory.

I hope i can explain good enough so you get it :)