Question New motherboard, power still going to headset on shutdown

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Just upgraded my motherboard and CPU which was a 7600k cpu to Ryzen 5 5600x and motherboard from MSI Z270 Gaming Plus to a Asus B550-f Strix gaming. What i have noticed is when shutting down my system is that my ROG Delta RGB headset stays alight when system is off completely. This was the same for motherboard logo but it triggered me that the mobo would not sync with the corsair software and change colours etc. So i found an option that said power down or along those lines to turn mobo off via aura software which was great and solved that issue but to also discover i could just turn aura off via bios and the logo doesnt light up at all while functioning, im assuming this was the correct option to choose of maybe stealth was better option? But from what i can see there's no options for my headset, it just stays on shining away in the dark in the corner while system is off. Is there anything in the bios i need to change for headset as i just know the basics in bios and dont want to do something i regret. I have noticed drop outs on keyboard and headset also while gaming but i think this is a AMD issue and any of this linked? Also guessing the mobo isnt compatible with corsair software as i understand you could with some asus mobos

Hope this makes sense :)

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
No my friend came round and said all he had to do was validate the windows to motherboard or something and said it was quick and easy to swap over. I still see Intel stuff on CCcleaner too so im not so sure what to do. Also got sign in option now on startup which i never had to do either which is highly annoying and yet that doesnt show up to take off via netplwiz.

Now you have me worried that somethings gone wrong :(

USAFRet

Titan
No my friend came round and said all he had to do was validate the windows to motherboard or something and said it was quick and easy to swap over. I still see Intel stuff on CCcleaner too so im not so sure what to do. Also got sign in option now on startup which i never had to do either which is highly annoying and yet that doesnt show up to take off via netplwiz.

Now you have me worried that somethings gone wrong :(
Changing a motherboard and keeping the original drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "boots up", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months

You are at #3.
A fresh OS install is always recommended, usually required.

USAFRet

Titan
Does this mean i would lose all settings, passwords, overclock settings on GPU, games, drivers for amd etc etc?
Absolutely.

A full OS reinstall is a reinstall of everything.
OS, applications, drivers.
username/passwords, application serial numbers, etc, etc.

You're starting from a blank slate...just like Day 1 when you first turned the old system on.

A Windows install is not modular. We'd all like it to be, but swapping parts like this dictates a full reinstall.

It's likely that your motherboard has a feature that allows you to charge up things like cell phones using the USB port(s) even when powered down. That would be my guess as to why the headset is still lit up. Have you tried plugging into a different USB port ?

As USAFRet stated above you need to do a proper re-install of Windows when moving to a different motherboard and CPU.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
If i remember correctly you can do this via recovery, reset PC? Or do i need to do things that i now dont understand :) Rather do the simplest way as im concerned doing stuff with USB etc will just land me in a worse situation

USAFRet

Titan
If i remember correctly you can do this via recovery, reset PC? Or do i need to do things that i now dont understand :) Rather do the simplest way as im concerned doing stuff with USB etc will just land me in a worse situation
Nope.
recovery/reset is not the same thing.

As painful as it might seem, a full reinstall IS the solution here.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Ok thanks, wish me luck, found a USB stick so will go for the reinstall, quite nervous as never done it this way myself, at least i have two other computers to come back her if anything goes wrong :) wish me luck!

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Ok i did a fresh install and ran into issues along the way main one being no internet access during setup, got over it by downloading LAN driver for mobo on other PC and install on this system but took time for me to realise that may work as my knowledge wasnt great and options i tried didnt work but thankfully driver sorted it. Everything seems fine now but will keep an eye on it all but still having issues with headset not lighting up on boot and have to reinsert it, its a new headset and was working fine with other mobo. Tried other USB ports too. I also ran into random administrator mid way downloading programs etc again. Kept coming up something to do with admin rights but only option was to select 'no' each time and couldnt do anything at all and would only let me boot into safe mode using restart/shift key method. I watched a youtube vid and think ive solved the situation now (i hope) and now i can download again. Only thing i wish i could do is stop this signing in each time i have to restart as with all these drivers etc im doing and constant restarts its frustrating me. None of this was on old mobo until my friend done it and its back again and now its still there after reinstall. Before reinstall there was 2 accounts but now just the one, i dont want any signing in options, just turn on and away i go.

Everything seems smoother now with install so happy so far, just need to iron out couple things as said above or is this matter for another part of forum for signing in?

USAFRet

Titan
For the sign in thing, you current single account is an Administrator.
It must have a password, hence the need to sign in.

You can create another Standard user, and have that with no password.
Use that account for daily operations.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
How do i do this please? Had a friend come over to take a look and doesnt understand what to do, i mentioned what you said above but didnt seem to ring any bells on what to do. We saw option to verify on the 'settings > account' tab but had old mobile number so we changed that but now have to wait 30 days for security. We wondered if it was anything to do with this? I popped on daughters PC and she has just one account and doesnt require passwords on sign in so im confused by this issue now.

USAFRet

Titan
How do i do this please? Had a friend come over to take a look and doesnt understand what to do, i mentioned what you said above but didnt seem to ring any bells on what to do. We saw option to verify on the 'settings > account' tab but had old mobile number so we changed that but now have to wait 30 days for security. We wondered if it was anything to do with this? I popped on daughters PC and she has just one account and doesnt require passwords on sign in so im confused by this issue now.
If there is truly only one account, that is an Admin account.
And I do not believe an Admin account can have no password.