• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question New motherboard, power won't turn on

May 29, 2020
I recently purchased a Gigabyte B450m DS3H motherboard and AMD Ryzen 5 2600 to upgrade from my 2015 pre-built. Upon install, my computer turned on fine. I used the packaged BIOS driver disk to install the drivers, during which a computer restart was required. The computer shut down, but did not power back on. The power button also did not turn the computer back on. I had to flip the PSU switch off, then back on, then the power button would turn the computer on. The drivers finished installing and I tried to restart again. Same problem, PSU switch had to be flipped off and back on for the power button to work. I left the computer on for 10 minutes and it shut off by itself. I turned it on a few more times and it would shut off between 10 minutes and an hour later. After the last shut down, the computer will no longer turn on no matter what I do. I would like to determine where the problem is, I don't know if it's a problem with the motherboard, wiring, drivers, or if the power supply just cant handle it. My PSU is Enermax and is 450w. I also have a GTX 1050 Ti installed.

Deicidium369

Upstanding
Mar 4, 2020
I recently purchased a Gigabyte B450m DS3H motherboard and AMD Ryzen 5 2600 to upgrade from my 2015 pre-built. Upon install, my computer turned on fine. I used the packaged BIOS driver disk to install the drivers, during which a computer restart was required. The computer shut down, but did not power back on. The power button also did not turn the computer back on. I had to flip the PSU switch off, then back on, then the power button would turn the computer on. The drivers finished installing and I tried to restart again. Same problem, PSU switch had to be flipped off and back on for the power button to work. I left the computer on for 10 minutes and it shut off by itself. I turned it on a few more times and it would shut off between 10 minutes and an hour later. After the last shut down, the computer will no longer turn on no matter what I do. I would like to determine where the problem is, I don't know if it's a problem with the motherboard, wiring, drivers, or if the power supply just cant handle it. My PSU is Enermax and is 450w. I also have a GTX 1050 Ti installed.
I concur with hang-the-9 - power supply.

While Enermax is a low tier manufacturer - nothing you have gets even close to 1/3rd the rated power. Never skimp on power supplies - they are the single most important component in your PC

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I, too, concur with the PSU being the likely trouble spot. While PSUs are still a little on the steep side price wise due to all the COVID crap, I'd find a good quality replacement unit. There's a great PSU thread over in that section detailing tons of them. Take a look there and use what you find as a basis for a replacement.

ASK THE COMMUNITY