[SOLVED] New motherboard should i switch GPU to AMD instead of NVIDIA

BoB_The_PC_Builder

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
So I upgraded my motherboard to the Asus ROG Strix B450-F with a Ryzen 5 and I had 2 gtx 1070s in SLI but this motherboard does not support it only cross fire so was thinking if I sold the 1070s and got a AMD equivalent not sure what that would be? i heard the RX Vega 56 is the best option but was trying to find something around $200 for each gpu or if i should just keep the 1070s but would be a waste right? only thing I heard you can do is use them separately for different tasks. I mostly game and some light video editing.

Solution
You're better off skipping using two video cards at once. SLI and crossfire only work with certain games, and when it does, both GPUs are only partially utilized, its never twice the performance.

You are better off getting one powerful GPU that is both good at playing games and video editing. Based on the amount of performance you seem to be targeting with two 1070s or two Vega 56s, I'd recommend you a RTX 2070 Super which is about $500. If you can't spend that much, a 2060 Super can be had for $400.
You're better off skipping using two video cards at once. SLI and crossfire only work with certain games, and when it does, both GPUs are only partially utilized, its never twice the performance.

You are better off getting one powerful GPU that is both good at playing games and video editing. Based on the amount of performance you seem to be targeting with two 1070s or two Vega 56s, I'd recommend you a RTX 2070 Super which is about $500. If you can't spend that much, a 2060 Super can be had for $400.

Solution

BoB_The_PC_Builder

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020

I see yea think i just liked the look of having multiple video card in my system with all the pci slots i wanted them all filled up cuz it looked cool but there are a couple games i play that i know use SLI so wanted use it but getting one good card is good too so i can have better performance. ill look into those 2 cards thanks for the advice.

I understand, I personally have two GPUs: a RTX 2080 and a RTX 2060. I use them both almost 24/7 for folding@home (Covid-19 cure stuff) and when I want to game or convert videos I use the 2080. They do look good in there together.

If you do decide to get a more powerful GPU, you could keep both in your case and use the older one to help find a cure for covid if you wanted, just sayin.