New motherboard, Win 8 OEM working fine, Windows Update not!

PandorasJuiceBox

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I replaced my original HP Pegatron motherboard with a ASUS ROG GENE, added 2nd video card, more memory. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to use Windows 8.1 since it being locked to the motherboard. Not a huge deal, I have an OEM copy of 7 which I like better anyway.

Windows 8.1 ended up working fine, but I cannot use Windows Update. When I click to open the program it partially starts (new window but no content) and hangs. I can still run other programs but update locks up. I can stop the process in Task Manger, but the Update window will not go away. The other day I tried it again, it got to the page that shows the updates that need installation, when I clicked update, it went to the downloading updates page and never moved from 0%. If I start Update from the Control Panel, it will open every time and I can close the window with no problems. But if I try to download any update it hangs on the downloading page. One update, 52 updates, doesn't matter. As mentioned below, Update Troubleshooter does not work either.

Does this relate back to the new motherboard/OEM Windows thing?

Thank you.

No. It's most likely just not connecting to Microsoft servers to get the updates.
How long did you wait?
There is an alternative method which is to use WSUS Offline updater to get the updates and install them.
http://download.wsusoffline.net/

PandorasJuiceBox

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

I waited close to 10 minutes. Another day I tried and left it for a couple hours, nothing.

PandorasJuiceBox

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Anybody else? I tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it goes through the scan but when it gets to the "Repairing" step the green bar just keeps going and it never repairs. I tried installing a Windows Update standalone from Microsoft and it scans for installed updates, but it just keeps scanning and never goes to the next step. I cannot close the window using the "X". I can right click in the task bar and it will close the window but the program still runs. I have to go to task manager and stop the process. Try it again and it does the same thing.