Question New motherboard won't recognize old gpu?

ZsoltDZ

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
So what happened is now I got this new motherboard etc... So I put my old GPU in and surprise. Blank screen but saw the keyboard go into its normal mode. So I tried enabling onboard iGPU with GPU. I didn't see any post but suddenly windows appeared...
When I checked device manager and I saw this for my GPU.
unknown.png

So when I saw the keyboard thing. It might have actually booted to windows but just couldn't see anything.
So I tried setting primary to iGPU but it still prioritized the GPU. So after that, I actually tried to install the GPU drivers, and surprise. No post but. Windows actually recognized the GPU and outputted it.
And now am stuck in a situation where I can use the GPU inside windows but I can't see bios post etc. Also at random intervals, my GPU gets disconnected and reconnected.

My GPU: GIGABYTE GT 430 OC 1 GB
My Motherboard: Biostar H410M

Edit: The old GPU still works in the old motherboard which is 4th gen

Well, no POST means the test is not passed or performed, but in your case, it passes it and loads the OS. You likely do not get to see the power-on self-test window due to fast boot being enabled which is totally fine. If you just need to change a BIOS setting, hold the shift button and click restart from within windows (described here).

So what happened is now I got this new motherboard etc... So I put my old GPU in and surprise. Blank screen but saw the keyboard go into its normal mode. So I tried enabling onboard iGPU with GPU. I didn't see any post but suddenly windows appeared...
When I checked device manager and I saw this for my GPU.
unknown.png

So when I saw the keyboard thing. It might have actually booted to windows but just couldn't see anything.
So I tried setting primary to iGPU but it still prioritized the GPU. So after that, I actually tried to install the GPU drivers, and surprise. No post but. Windows actually recognized the GPU and outputted it.
And now am stuck in a situation where I can use the GPU inside windows but I can't see bios post etc. Also at random intervals, my GPU gets disconnected and reconnected.

My GPU: GIGABYTE GT 430 OC 1 GB
My Motherboard: Biostar H410M

Edit: The old GPU still works in the old motherboard which is 4th gen
If you have an H410 board you likely have a Comet Lake i5 or i7. The Intel UHD Graphics 630 is better than your GT430 so you may as well leave the GPU out. Also, your GT430 is limited by 1GB onboard memory whereas the Intel iGPU can dynamically allocate more than that from system memory, as long as you're not low on total memory.

https://technical.city/en/video/UHD-Graphics-630-vs-GeForce-GT-430

ZsoltDZ

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
If you have an H410 board you likely have a Comet Lake i5 or i7. The Intel UHD Graphics 630 is better than your GT430 so you may as well leave the GPU out. Also, your GT430 is limited by 1GB onboard memory whereas the Intel iGPU can dynamically allocate more than that from system memory, as long as you're not low on total memory.

https://technical.city/en/video/UHD-Graphics-630-vs-GeForce-GT-430
I actually got a new GPU now Radeon HD 7950 and it's actually having the same issue as the old one... Interesting.
Also my iGPU is uhd 610
Edit: Sorry for the late reply.

Last edited:

ZsoltDZ

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
Lots of stuff happened since this time, got new GPU and also a new PSU cuz the old one died. Anyways I actually managed put it the primary display to iGPU so now I can access bios settings etc. Not sure about the display but not I can use the pc fine with just having to connect my monitor to igpu when needing to access that.