Question New Motherboard = Worse WiFi?

Mar 16, 2024
Hey all,

So I was previously running on an ASUS TUF x570 PLUS Wi-Fi motherboard. I'm forced to run wireless due to the layout of my house and while this motherboard would have an issue once in a while it was overall fine. Then I decided to build a new PC...

I went with a B650 Aorus Elite AX (v1.2) and now my wireless is CONSTANTLY getting ping spikes. About every 10min I will get a huge ping spike for 3-4 seconds. If I wasnt a gamer it wouldnt be a big deal but I am and its incredibly annoying. My PC is sitting in the exact same spot as it used to, nothing has changed except the components of my computer. I'm also running on Windows 11 now.

I've updated all my drivers, tried changing what wireless band im on (2.4 vs 5) and a handful of other stuff but nothing seems to work. I just dont know whats causing this. I never spike for more than ~3seconds and then everything goes back to normal. Wireless strength is full. I'm out of ideas but its really starting to drive me nuts. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey all,

So I was previously running on an ASUS TUF x570 PLUS Wi-Fi motherboard. I'm forced to run wireless due to the layout of my house and while this motherboard would have an issue once in a while it was overall fine. Then I decided to build a new PC...

I went with a B650 Aorus Elite AX (v1.2) and now my wireless is CONSTANTLY getting ping spikes. About every 10min I will get a huge ping spike for 3-4 seconds. If I wasnt a gamer it wouldnt be a big deal but I am and its incredibly annoying. My PC is sitting in the exact same spot as it used to, nothing has changed except the components of my computer. I'm also running on Windows 11 now.

I've updated all my drivers, tried changing what wireless band im on (2.4 vs 5) and a handful of other stuff but nothing seems to work. I just dont know whats causing this. I never spike for more than ~3seconds and then everything goes back to normal. Wireless strength is full. I'm out of ideas but its really starting to drive me nuts. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
The Asus motherboard had the "shark fin" external antenna. Are you using it with your new motherboard?
I can't find a picture of what antennas come with the B650 motherboard.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
The Asus motherboard had the "shark fin" external antenna. Are you using it with your new motherboard?
I can't find a picture of what antennas come with the B650 motherboard.

HU21y0P.png

I always recommend wifi extender if wifi adapter doesn't work well.

Angel Fernandez

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2015
Always try a simple solution before you start pulling your hair out. Download a free Wi-Fi scanner app on your phone. Check which wireless channel has the least traffic in your area. Do this test in the evening when everyone in the area or building is home and online. Switch to the channel with the least traffic.
If it's an ISP provided router call them up and ask them if they can switch your router channel to whatever you find has the least traffic.
If that fails check and see if there is a firmware upgrade for the router.