[SOLVED] New MSI B550M restarting at random ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Hello, you may remember me from the thread I posted like an hour ago. Installing Windows 10 has fixed the issue of the mouse and keyboard not working. However, my computer now restarts itself randomly. I will be sitting there, doing anything or nothing and the screen will instantly black out and it'll start loading. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it: I saw it happen in the corner of my eye while typing this on my laptop, and it was on the login screen.

I've checked my temps and they're fine. The motherboard is a brand new MSI B550M VDH Pro-Wifi, the CPU is a brand new Ryzen 5 5600x. The Graphics card is a GTX 1060 which worked fine as of yesterday. My power supply is 650W so I think that should be enough. It's not a software issue at all since this is a completely clean Windows 10 installation, and it was happening when I tried to boot it into Windows 7 as well. It didn't happen during Windows 10 installation or when I updated the BIOS, nor has it ever happened in the BIOS screen. I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Solution
Random reboots when everything seems otherwise fine are usually a dying PSU, especially when the random reboots keep getting progressively worse to the point of not even being able to get into the OS anymore.

Exposing components to a dying PSU may damage them. I recommend you quit using your PC until you have a decent quality known-good PSU to test with.

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Having done some further testing I can say that it reliably crashes 10 minutes(give or take 1) after booting into Windows UNLESS I'm running Prime95. If I'm running Prime95 it will work indefinitely. If I close it then it crashes about 10 minutes later. This seems to indicate that it crashes with low CPU load, maybe because the voltage goes too low or something like that. But I don't know how to prevent that and I'd rather not run Prime95 tests in the background whenever I'm using the computer. Anyone have any idea?

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Well, changing the CPU voltage to 1.15 in the bios had it not crash for 3 hours, then it crashed and now, even after resetting the BIOS settings to default, it is now constantly crashing even in the BIOS menu. I've tried everything I can think of and I can't figure it out at all. It just doesn't seem to make any sense. The PSU and GPU and Drives all worked fine as of yesterday. It's happening in the BIOS now so it can't be a software error. Temps are fine for everything. I've changed out the RAM and tried a single stick in every individual slot. What could be causing this?

May 10, 2021
Well, changing the CPU voltage to 1.15 in the bios had it not crash for 3 hours, then it crashed and now, even after resetting the BIOS settings to default, it is now constantly crashing even in the BIOS menu. I've tried everything I can think of and I can't figure it out at all. It just doesn't seem to make any sense. The PSU and GPU and Drives all worked fine as of yesterday. It's happening in the BIOS now so it can't be a software error. Temps are fine for everything. I've changed out the RAM and tried a single stick in every individual slot. What could be causing this?
pupilpath
PC reboots randomly with Ryzen 3600 and B550M PRO-VDH WiFi. Thread starter ans.akshay15f802ed Updated the BIOS to the current latest using MFlash Have monitored the gpu temp with msi afterburner or similar.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Random reboots when everything seems otherwise fine are usually a dying PSU, especially when the random reboots keep getting progressively worse to the point of not even being able to get into the OS anymore.

Exposing components to a dying PSU may damage them. I recommend you quit using your PC until you have a decent quality known-good PSU to test with.

Solution

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018

This PSU functioned with zero issues in a different build as of 2 days ago. As far as I can tell, it seems fine.

Additionally, after looking around online I was able to discover that others with this exact model of motherboard were having a similar issue with constant restarting. Resetting to the default BIOS settings was, in fact, what had made it worse. I was able to improve the stability quite a bit by manually setting the CPU core voltage to 1 volt, as well as adjusting some of the DRAM voltages in the BIOS according to a bit of advice I saw, and it will now run reliably for a few hours at a time before restarting. I seem to be closing in on the solution, however I don't have the knowledge required to get it 100% stable. There are more values I can adjust but I simply don't know what I should be setting them to, nor do I want to just try random values and hope for the best.

InvalidError

Titan
This PSU functioned with zero issues in a different build as of 2 days ago. As far as I can tell, it seems fine.
Different CPUs, GPUs and VRMs put different loads and have different transient handling characteristics from each other. Just because one combination of components worked seemingly fine with a given PSU does not mean that all others will. Some PSU models based on 10+ years old designs simply cannot keep up with modern CPU and GPU transient loads even when they were recently bought new-in-box.

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Different CPUs, GPUs and VRMs put different loads and have different transient handling characteristics from each other. Just because one combination of components worked seemingly fine with a given PSU does not mean that all others will. Some PSU models based on 10+ years old designs simply cannot keep up with modern CPU and GPU transient loads even when they were recently bought new-in-box.
It's an EVGA 750 GQ and it's 2 years old, so judge based on that information. I don't know enough to conclusively say that it isn't contributing to the problem by being outdated or incompatible, but it certainly isn't dying.

InvalidError

Titan
It's an EVGA 750 GQ and it's 2 years old, so judge based on that information. I don't know enough to conclusively say that it isn't contributing to the problem by being outdated or incompatible, but it certainly isn't dying.
Weirder things can happen. Some combinations of Corsair AX/AXi PSUs and specific 2080(Ti) models were known to be problematic - both work fine with anything else, just not together.

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Having replaced my motherboard with an MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge, I have experienced no further problems on default BIOS settings. Given that default BIOS settings were causing crashes within minutes before, I'm confident that this is resolved. Based on my own experience and what other people have said online, I can conclude that the Pro-VDH Wifi just isn't very well made and commonly defective in a manner that causes this.

although the backplate also falls off of this one when you take the cooler lugs off to put on a spring screw cooler. MSI, please, I'm tired of having to hold a backplate and a cooler in place while also operating a screwdriver at the same time, I only have 2 hands

Status
Not open for further replies.