New MSI MEG Z390 Godlike vs ACE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Michael Jacky

Reputable
May 24, 2016

Intel hasn't officially release an MSRP for the i9-9900X (at least not on site), though that might be an accurate price. I can get the 7820X for 6180SEK (about $650, which is the price of the Godlike mobo xD).
But, if the 9900X turns out to be cheaper, I'll definitely get that. Much because of the x44 PCI-E lanes :p

Michael Jacky

Reputable
May 24, 2016

Question: Gigabyte, on the product page of my mobo, they claim it's for 6th AND 7th generation CPUs. Now, if I desperately wanted to increase my CPU clock speed, couldn't I just buy a 7700K and install that? As long as I have the latest BIOS update? How would it perform? You think I could get it to 5.0GHz? That way I'd gain another 0.5 GHz and not have to spend money on a motherboard just yet.

Colif

Win 11 Master

not everyone around here writes as long and thorough replies as Aeacus so you could at least appreciate his answers and not just blow it off as something you can ignore.

Michael Jacky

Reputable
May 24, 2016

I wrote the "yada yada" to not make my reply so long to take up so much space...
I still read his stuff and I take all he says into consideration. He's been very helpful and I've been appreciate of everything he writes.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you have new question within topic, you don't need to quote me at all. Just post your reply and as soon as i'm back at the forums, i'll see that you posted in your topic (i get a notification).

Though, if you do want to quote me, don't replace my written text with your own text. It's disrespectful and rude. Just leave a line or two of my written text in the quote or use ellipses.

If you update your MoBo BIOS to the latest one then yes, you can install any Kaby Lake CPU in your MoBo as well, including i7-7700K.

Compared to i7-6700K, i7-7700K has, on average, 8% better performance,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/3502vs3647

With CPU upgrade, you should be able to get extra 300 Mhz out of the CPU without issues (4.8 GHz) and if you're lucky with silicon lottery, you can even OC it to 5 Ghz. Though, do note that i7-7700K is one of the most hot running chips and you'll need pretty impressive CPU cooling with that CPU. But since the gain in CPU performance is mere 8%, getting a CPU upgrade isn't worth the money, unless you want higher core clocks.

Michael Jacky

Reputable
May 24, 2016

OK, sorry about that, dude. Didn't think it was a big deal. I'll be sure to keep that in mind in the future. Sorry, again.

Now, continuing with out convo:
I've got a Deepcool Captain 360 EX AIO cooler, dunno if that'd be enough.
I don't care about over-all performance for most games, mainly those that need fast clock speeds, like modded Skyrim SE and the like.
But, if I'll have to be lucky with silicon lottery to get 5.0 I might as well not try it, because I'm not very lucky xD

Guess it's all about the waiting game then :)
Thanks a lot for the info and insights. I've decided not to upgrade at all and gonna wait a while until I do, when chipsets have significant improvements, a long with consumer CPUs hopefully getting more PCI-E lanes.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Tom's Hardware did a review of i7-7700K and while CPU was cooled by 240mm AIO (Enermax Liqtech 240 AiO cooler fitted with two be quiet! Silent Wings II fans), CPU did thermal throttle during the testing. Somehow the CPU did survive though,
link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-i7-7700-i5-7600k-i5-7600,4870-8.html

Last option which you can do is to delid your CPU, since delidding helps a lot and you'll get 15°C to 25°C lower peak core temps, giving you a lot more headroom in CPU OC,
further reading: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid

For your i7-6700K, delidding costs $40 + shipping and delidding with binning costs $60 + shipping, making it far cheaper than going with i7-7700K, while you'll still get higher core clocks out of your current CPU.

Michael Jacky

Reputable
May 24, 2016

My Vcore is at 1.30v, but my CPU never reaches about 60 C. Would you recommend me to go higher?
How much, higher should I got to try to force it up to 4.7GHz or possibly 4.8GHz? You think it'd be possible?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I linked the i7-6700K OC guide to you earlier in this topic, it's all written in there. As far as voltage goes, don't go over 1.4v, e.g 1.41v. But do monitor temps closely when increasing voltage.

Successful OC is highest CPU core clock with lowest Vcore voltage, e.g 4.9 Ghz at 1.4v or 4.7 Ghz at 1.35v.

baflgv20

Honorable
Apr 19, 2018
The X299 cpu's like the 7820X which isn't bad at all for gaming but aren't as good for gaming as you might think. For 1 they don't use the ringbus architecture which the mainstream cpu's do. If you need more pci-e lanes, X299 is a must but if your strictly gaming i would go with Z370 or Z390. and a MSI ACE with the 9700K would be more than enough for today's and the next couple of years for games.