Question New MSI Optix MAG274QRF - Need Help

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Hey guys,

Need some help here. I bought an open box MSI 2560x1440 165hz monitor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N5GNPS5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything was still well wrapped and nothing appeared to be used. My last monitor was a 23" ASUS 1920x1080 55hz, so this was not only a big upgrade in size, but also resolution and refresh rate.

So here's my issue, I tried various settings from the MSI supplied OSD software and I'm still struggling. Text in windows10 appears sort of grainy and washed out. I discovered that changing my DPI to 150% helps tremendously with that. Is that normal despite windows recommending 100%? Do most of you go 150 and up for larger higher res monitors?

My photos look washed out and grainy. Whether I toggle hdr on or off, a normal jpeg just loses its depth and color.

I have 2 games on the pc for testing. A free copy of assassins creed black flag. With settings cranked this looks pretty good for an old game. Then I downloaded warzone, which I've played on my ps4 on a 1080p and 4k tv and also on my ps5 in 4khdr. My gpu isn't great, but it never had an issue with ps4 era games and the first playthrough with settings in the middle it looked ok and every playthrough since looks poor. Like PS3 level graphics. I get weird sharpness/color loss issues around crates and ground loot. There's like a white jagged fuzz around them and I can't tell the difference between green, purple or blue ground loot. Despite bumping visual settings my fps stays up in the 60 and 70's and graphics don't improve. I played some games like fallout4 and ghost recon wildlands with the exact same computer on my older monitor and I feel like they looked pretty good.

Do I have a settings issue I should look at? A hardware problem? Am I just adjusting to a higher resolution, larger monitor? I have gsync enabled and was trying fps mode with the sharpness down from the preset 3 to 0. Also have the resolution at 2560x1440 in windows.

computer specs in sig, gpu is an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti FTW GAMING, 4GB GDDR5

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
so just a little update. I changed the OSD software from FPS to user and it looks better... maybe it's the image enhancement thing. I also redownloaded ghost recon and maxed settings... it looks beautiful.

Uninstalled warzone and battle net and retrying that soon.

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
So problem solved. Either me or the system moved my resolution slider down to 50. I haven't played enough pc games to see this obvious mistake and when moved back to 100 the game looks great and my fps suffer haha.

Leaving the desktop at 150% as well as that seems to be a decent fix for weird font.