Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
I have a voucher for a retailer selling the new MSI MPG A850GF 850W power supply, making it a fair bit cheaper than some other PSU's that are highly regarded such as Corsair RM850. However I can't find any reviews on it and I know power supplies are items you dont want to cheap out on when it comes to reviews.

The items specifications seems quite promising though with 100% 105 degrees C capacitors, a 10 Year Warranty and "industrial level protection" with OVP, OCP, OPP, OTP, SCP, UVP.

To me this seems like a safe buy but I'm aware MSI isn't a much of a name in the PSUs as others.

Last edited:
Solution
I have a voucher for a retailer selling the new MSI MPG A850GF 850W power supply, making it a fair bit cheaper than some other PSU's that are highly regarded such as Corsair RM850. However I can't find any reviews on it and I know power supplies are items you dont want to cheap out on when it comes to reviews.

The items specifications seems quite promising though with 100% 105 degrees C capacitors, a 10 Year Warranty and "industrial level protection" with OVP, OCP, OPP, OTP, SCP, UVP.

To me this seems like a safe buy but I'm aware MSI isn't a much of a name in the PSUs as others.
Looks good on paper, but, until someone qualified finds who the OEM is, tears one open and analyzes the components and then tests the crap out of it...

Looks good on paper, but, until someone qualified finds who the OEM is, tears one open and analyzes the components and then tests the crap out of it we won't know.

The only place I found selling it right now is UK, unless I missed something in my search and it's going for about £130. Sounds like a competitive price for a 850 watt model with the listed specs. Time will tell. Until then you may want to stick with Seasonic, Super Flower or Corsair.

Solution

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
Looks good on paper, but, until someone qualified finds who the OEM is, tears one open and analyzes the components and then tests the crap out of it we won't know.

The only place I found selling it right now is UK, unless I missed something in my search and it's going for about £130. Sounds like a competitive price for a 850 watt model with the listed specs. Time will tell. Until then you may want to stick with Seasonic, Super Flower or Corsair.

Yeah I am in the UK, and I have a £20 voucher for a place that advertises a £27 Cashback from MSI aswell making it around £80 for a seemingly high end 850W PSU which is what is tempting me. Especially when comparable PSUs don’t go below £120 atm here.

Would this justify biting the bullet? If not d you have any idea how long would it would take before we get any reliable 3rd party info on the unit? I’m not in any rush right now, only looking to upgrade my 7 year old 600W PSU for one of the new power hungry GPU’s which by the looks of things I won’t be getting any time soon.

Yeah I am in the UK, and I have a £20 voucher for a place that advertises a £27 Cashback from MSI aswell making it around £80 for a seemingly high end 850W PSU which is what is tempting me. Especially when comparable PSUs don’t go below £120 atm here.

Would this justify biting the bullet? If not d you have any idea how long would it would take before we get any reliable 3rd party info on the unit? I’m not in any rush right now, only looking to upgrade my 7 year old 600W PSU for one of the new power hungry GPU’s which by the looks of things I won’t be getting any time soon.
We have Aris here at Tom's doing reviews, but I have no idea if this MSI model is even on his radar. Tom's did make an announcement about the new models a little while back but nothing else so far. With a good deal on price and a good warranty backing it I don't think you'd have a lot to lose with the exception of the hassle of returning it if a problem arises and assuming all the protective circuitry operates properly so that there's no collateral damage from a problem. Someone has to go first.