[SOLVED] New Multi purpose PC

smileysloth1

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
It's been a while since I was in the loop with PC hardware and really need help speccing up a new machine.

In January 2018 I posted a thread asking what I should do with my PC, upgrade or build a new one? I opted to upgrade at the time, however now I'm starting to notice signs that the computer won't make it much longer. It randomly shuts down then reboots after a few minutes and gets pretty loud. I suspect the PSU is failing but I'm not entirely sure and to be honest I can't be bothered to troubleshoot and dignose exactly whats wrong.

I'm a graphic designer/video editor/photographer and also do a spot of gaming. At the moment its mainly just Rocket League but in the coming months we've got Red Dead 2 and the new Modern Warfare coming out. I use most of the resource hungry software from Adobe (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects) and love myself some chrome tabs.

For my current spec please reference the previous thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...tem-or-build-a-new-one.3220296/#post-19831344

The only upgrades I have carried out since that post are a new GPU (1080 ti) and a new heatsink (Noctua NH-D15). Other than that everything is exactly the same. I'd probably be lookng to keep the GPU and heatsink but everything else will probably be replaced including the case.

I don't have a specific budget in mind. I'd like to spend less than £1000 but if I have to spend more then I'm happy to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Approximate Purchase Date: This month.

Budget Range: £1000 ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic design, Photography, Video editing, Gaming, .

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.co.uk, scan.co.uk, kustompcs.co.uk.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 27inch 2560x1440 + 24inch 1920x1080 144z - I'm looking to upgrade the 24 inch model to a 27 inch gaming display.

Additional Comments: Quiet would be nice

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current PC is showing signs its going to die soon.

Solution
Hi, Also near London, Staines...Here is an option but hopefully others will jump in. Ryzen 3700X (only because I cannot find the 3700 non X) but great CPU for games and especially for your pro workloads in graphic design, photography and video editing with 8 cores and 16 threads. 32GB in 4 x 8GB DDR4 3200 modules, 1TB NVMe SSD which will be a huge difference. The EVGA G3 Gold 750w PSU which is just great. Of course you will reuse the drives you already have and the GTX 1080Ti is a great GPU....

I also added a case, though not needed as you have the HAF X but the Fractal Design Meshifi C is a great airflow case or the Cooler Master H500P Mesh which I use and again just great on the airflow side. I believe you have everything else you...
Hi, Also near London, Staines...Here is an option but hopefully others will jump in. Ryzen 3700X (only because I cannot find the 3700 non X) but great CPU for games and especially for your pro workloads in graphic design, photography and video editing with 8 cores and 16 threads. 32GB in 4 x 8GB DDR4 3200 modules, 1TB NVMe SSD which will be a huge difference. The EVGA G3 Gold 750w PSU which is just great. Of course you will reuse the drives you already have and the GTX 1080Ti is a great GPU....

I also added a case, though not needed as you have the HAF X but the Fractal Design Meshifi C is a great airflow case or the Cooler Master H500P Mesh which I use and again just great on the airflow side. I believe you have everything else you need but this would make a great foundation for a Game/Work PC for some time to come.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/369JV7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£298.76 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£189.38 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£152.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£97.97 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ PC World)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£104.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £933.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-12 21:19 BST+0100

Last edited:
Solution

smileysloth1

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
Thanks. Ill have a look at that CPU in more detail. Has intel lost their title now? Seems as though most new builds I’m seeing are using AMD which I never thought I’d see outside of very budget builds.

When I started looking at CPUs I was looking at the 9700k vs 9900k originally but AMD seem to have taken over somewhat. Are there any instances where there are differences between Intel and AMD depending on what you’re doing other than what can been seen on a spec sheet?

The HAFX is a monster of a case so I was actually going to get rid of it too. Ive had my eye on the Fractal Design R4/5/6 for some time now so probably go for that.