New MVMe ssd escalated to multiple problems please help

Nov 14, 2018
So I have a custome built computer that I bought myself for graduation and it has been really good up until this point.
PC BUILD:
Ryzen 5 1600x 6core
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6gb
16gb 2x8gb G skill Ripjaws V series ddr4 3000
Rose will Quark series 650w platinum full modular psu
Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 mobo
And an old hard drive that was in my old computer that I just moved over whose name in the bios is P0:ST31000528AS and this is a 1tb hdd

Although this rig has been giving me great results when I am playing literally anything it took forever to turn on and boot windows so I just bought a samsung m.2 ssd, the 970 evo 500gb ssd. I installed the ssd in the m2 slot after 2 attempts, which was a huge pain because I had to disconnect my case mounted GPU that was not going to come off unless I also disconnected a fan so after I installed it the first time the computer wouldn't display anything and I thought it was my gpu but it was because the ssd wasnt in enough or something because after I took it apart again and put it back together it worked, well the display worked. I was then greeted by a prompt to install boot media or insert bootable drive which was weird so I went into the bios and tried changing the bootable drive to my default but it wasnt there so I had to go back into my case and change the sata port that my hdd was plugged into to another sata port and then I could boot. After I booted on the old hdd it wouldnt stay on long and would restart itself which it didn't do before. At that point I got fed up so I went to best buys geek squad for help and he told me to get a flash drive to install bootable media for windows onto my ssd which I did and then everything went well with the installation but now the problem is that when i am using my pc on the new ssd with windows i still am greeted with random restarts, the occasional blue screen and when I open new windows like chrome my whole monitor goes dark for a few seconds and then comes back also my hdmi sound bar when selected in the settings cuts out or becomes staticy. Please help!

Update your motherboard bios to the latest version, first.

Second, when you installed Windows on the NVME drive, were there ANY other storage drives connected at that time?

Have you installed the Samsung NVME driver from the Samsung website? If not, you NEED to do that.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/DR/201805/20180514160435960/Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.0.exe

It would also be a good idea to install Samsung Magician:

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/

Then run Magician and check to see if there are firmware updates for the 970 EVO. Likely, there are. There was for mine and the three others I installed in separate systems.

Obiously, the bios update is THE most important factor here, followed closely by having the NVME driver installed. There is an additional consideration however. It is HIGHLY advisable that you have CSM (Compatibility support module) DISABLED in the bios while you are installing Windows to the NVME PCI M.2 drive. It is also HIGHLY recommended that you go into the secure boot settings and enable UEFI mode before the installation.

Otherwise you will end up with a Windows installation that is on an MBR partition, rather than a UEFI friendly GPT partition. Having a non-UEFI installation on an NVME drive COULD potentially create some weird issues as they were not really designed for legacy installations.

Also, if you have reconnected your old HDD to the system, I would disconnect that. Your problems could actually be due to problems with that drive. Disconnect it, at least for a while, to test the idea that it is responsible in any way.

TRENDING THREADS