New name for Quincunx-AA

G

I think the new Quincunx-AA feature looks to be a very cool, very smart way to do anti-aliasing... but much like Tom, I hate that name! Seeing as the HW community will no doubt be talking about this feature a lot, we should have another name for it. What do people think we should use instead? Q-AA would be an obvious choice... Personally, I like *AA, because the five-pixel filter arrangement looks kinda like an asterisk to me. What do other people think?

G

Should just be standard for everyone to assume that it is on since there is no reason not to have it off. Anything over 60fps and you can talk all you want about who is faster. If you can keep the best looking picture with the highest detail and *AA then I'm hooked. *AA would probably be overkill at 1600x1200 so well have to see how 1.5x works at 1600x1200.

G

In his 1889 publication Natural Inheritance, the renowned British scientist Sir Francis Galton described a pinball-type board that he called a quincunx. As pictured, the quincunx has five rows of pegs, the pegs in each row being the same distance apart. At the bottom of the board are five cells, numbered 0 through 4. A ball is introduced at the top of the board between the pegs in the first row. After wedging past those two pegs, it will hit the middle peg in the second row and veer either to the right or to the left, then strike the peg in the third row, again veering to the right or left, and so on.

Check out the following picture.
http://www.tesla00.com/quincunx.gif