[SOLVED] New Nas System any tips would be very helpful

wishb0n3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
So i bought a Synology Nas DS920+ with 3 12TB Hard drives. Just created a Raid 5 with the system and just ordered a 4th hard drive to add to it. Should i switch to Raid 10 or any better options or stick with the Raid 5? Kinda new to this but have been researching and reading up on everything. Also, built my plex server on it as well as of now has 2tb of movies and such on it. Any opinions would be appreciated on what to do here, thank you!

Solution
Yes, i do have a few backups in external drives and such. Just not sure if i should stick with the RAID5 i already have created or switch to a RAID10 or something? You think i will be good with the RAID5 or worth rebuilding and starting fresh to something else? THANKS!
You never answered the question of how much space you NEED. Changing volume type changes that number. Without an answer to that basic question, then a RAID organization can't be answered. If you say 10TB NEEDED, then I would say a RAID1 and a second RAID 1 as backup. If you say 30TB, then I would say you have no choice but 4 disk SHR/RAID5. I would probably do an SHR volume, because it has more flexibility than a traditional RAID5.
You also have to...

kanewolf

Titan
So i bought a Synology Nas DS920+ with 3 12TB Hard drives. Just created a Raid 5 with the system and just ordered a 4th hard drive to add to it. Should i switch to Raid 10 or any better options or stick with the Raid 5? Kinda new to this but have been researching and reading up on everything. Also, built my plex server on it as well as of now has 2tb of movies and such on it. Any opinions would be appreciated on what to do here, thank you!
How much total space do you NEED? Did you add the SSDs? Did you upgrade the RAM?
You may be able to grow the system with the 4th drive or maybe not. Did you create an SHR volume or a RAID5 ?

wishb0n3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
How much total space do you NEED? Did you add the SSDs? Did you upgrade the RAM?
You may be able to grow the system with the 4th drive or maybe not. Did you create an SHR volume or a RAID5 ?

Hey thanks for the reply. The extra space is nice as my wife wants to store photography raw photos and such and i will constantly be adding movies/shows and such. No, i havent upgraded ram and no ssds just 3 HDs which will soon be 4 HDs. I created a RAID5 volume already with the 3 HDs.

wishb0n3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
Do ya think i am better off just leaving the Raid 5? All 3 hard drives (12 TB each) are healthy and one is showing a few errors on smart extensive test so far but no many. I just bought them so i think i am going to replace that 1 drive as well.

with the 4th i have coming in the mail. I could also make the 4th a hot spare? as i think having the 2 HDS with 20 TB should be enough for me. Any thoughts on hot spare?

kanewolf

Titan
Hey thanks for the reply. The extra space is nice as my wife wants to store photography raw photos and such and i will constantly be adding movies/shows and such. No, i havent upgraded ram and no ssds just 3 HDs which will soon be 4 HDs. I created a RAID5 volume already with the 3 HDs.
Just remember that RAID (any type) is not secure from a backup perspective. It only protects against a drive failure, which is an UPTIME problem. Data loss happens from many reasons besides individual drive failure.
Also remember that your performance will be limited by your network. So storing copies of RAW files may be OK, but you won't want to edit directly from the NAS.

wishb0n3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
Just remember that RAID (any type) is not secure from a backup perspective. It only protects against a drive failure, which is an UPTIME problem. Data loss happens from many reasons besides individual drive failure.
Also remember that your performance will be limited by your network. So storing copies of RAW files may be OK, but you won't want to edit directly from the NAS.

Yes, i do have a few backups in external drives and such. Just not sure if i should stick with the RAID5 i already have created or switch to a RAID10 or something? You think i will be good with the RAID5 or worth rebuilding and starting fresh to something else? THANKS!

kanewolf

Titan
You never answered the question of how much space you NEED. Changing volume type changes that number. Without an answer to that basic question, then a RAID organization can't be answered. If you say 10TB NEEDED, then I would say a RAID1 and a second RAID 1 as backup. If you say 30TB, then I would say you have no choice but 4 disk SHR/RAID5. I would probably do an SHR volume, because it has more flexibility than a traditional RAID5.
You also have to decide if the risk of a second drive failure, during a RAID rebuild it too great. 12TB drives will take a long time to rebuild.

Solution

wishb0n3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
You also have to decide if the risk of a second drive failure, during a RAID rebuild it too great. 12TB drives will take a long time to rebuild.

Thanks again for the reply. I mainly would need around 20 TB or so even with having 4 12 TB drives. I really wanna be safe and not lose all my data. What i had read before made me think RAID5 is the best but i have been doing research and have mixed reviews. So in my 4 bay with 4 12 TB hard drives and needing around 20 or so TB would i be better off going to RAID10 to be safe? It also gives me an option to change to RAID6 and not lose anything have 2 drive fault tolerance.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks again for the reply. I mainly would need around 20 TB or so even with having 4 12 TB drives. I really wanna be safe and not lose all my data. What i had read before made me think RAID5 is the best but i have been doing research and have mixed reviews. So in my 4 bay with 4 12 TB hard drives and needing around 20 or so TB would i be better off going to RAID10 to be safe?
"Not lose all my data" is why I STRESSED that RAID is not the answer. If you want secure data you need three copies on three unique volumes. One of which needs to be off-site. RAID does not protect against theft, fire, water damage, etc. You need a BACKUP strategy.
RAID10 is not definitely safer. You can lose two drives and lose all your data. You can't say "I can lose two drives and be safe". If both drives are the two halves of a mirror, then you are toast.
20TB, I would do a three drive SHR and a hot spare.

wishb0n3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
"Not lose all my data" is why I STRESSED that RAID is not the answer. If you want secure data you need three copies on three unique volumes. One of which needs to be off-site. RAID does not protect against theft, fire, water damage, etc. You need a BACKUP strategy.
RAID10 is not definitely safer. You can lose two drives and lose all your data. You can't say "I can lose two drives and be safe". If both drives are the two halves of a mirror, then you are toast.
20TB, I would do a three drive SHR and a hot spare.

Awesome, thanks again for the detailed input here. If i leave at RAID5 seems alittle too risky if a drive goes down to lose everything. I think i will go ahead and switch up to what you recommended and i do have a high TB externals as well to backup. Thanks alot for the help.

kanewolf

Titan
Awesome, thanks again for the detailed input here. If i leave at RAID5 seems alittle too risky if a drive goes down to lose everything. I think i will go ahead and switch up to what you recommended and i do have a high TB externals as well to backup. Thanks alot for the help.
RAID5 is not more risky than SHR. It is just less flexible. A 3 drive RAID5 with hot spare would have the same exposure. The SSDs (two to get write caching) and RAM upgrades should help with rebuild if that becomes necessary.