Question New Netgear AC1750 giving 1mbsp download

Mar 12, 2019
Okay so ive been trying to figure this out all night. So for starters let me explain my current network set up. I have Verizon fios, from my verizon router i have a cable which goes to my basement and plugs into a Cisco router. This router is set up as a separate network from the verizon one. Everything was working fine until i got and plugged in this new Netgear AC1750. So the netgear router was meant to replace my older cisco router, but once i finished the initial set up i ran a speedtest, i got 1mbps or less all while sitting directly next to the router. I tried wired and wireless, not very much difference in speeds, maybe difference of .5mbps. I called Netgear and followed all their troubleshooting of changing wireless channels and MTU size, but none of that worked. I reset the router and tried everything again, no good.

Then i figured that i probably just had a defective device so I hooked back up my cisco router and just for shits and gigs plugged a cable from one of the lan ports of the cisco router into the wan port of the netgear. From here, while still connected to the netgear's wifi, i ran a speed test. 80+mbps download. wtf. does this make sense to anyone??? i really dont get it. Some how this netgear router is only working correctly when there is an extra hop put in the network. Any ideas y'all have would be greatly appreciated

kanewolf

Titan
Since you say you have the cisco (and Netgear) "setup as a separate network", that would say you are connecting your FIOS router to the WAN port of the netgear. Could you have an IP conflict between the FIOS (192.168.1.x?) and the DHCP server on the Netgear? Those IPs have to be different ranges.

Mar 12, 2019
Since you say you have the cisco (and Netgear) "setup as a separate network", that would say you are connecting your FIOS router to the WAN port of the netgear. Could you have an IP conflict between the FIOS (192.168.1.x?) and the DHCP server on the Netgear? Those IPs have to be different ranges.
I don’t believe I have an IP conflict, I changed the internal IPs/DHCP scope on the Cisco and netgear routers to 192.168.25.X and 192.168.24.X respectively during setup. So the netgear router will grab an IP from the Verizon router in the 192.168.1.X network and then give out 192.168.24.X