[SOLVED] New Network Setup Help

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Hello friends,

I have glanced over a few threads but just didn't quite find the answers I need for my question (sorry if I missed something).

I am cancelling AT&T internet service (no more modem/router combo) and switching possibly to Xfinity 200 mbs service. I am buying Linksys Mesh WiFi Router (Tri-Band Router, Wireless Mesh AC2200 and Linksys CM3024 High Speed DOCSIS 3.0 24x8 Cable Modem (recommended).

I have a tri-level home, about 1600 sq ft. My office is on the lower level but was told to place the router on the higher point in the house, which would be the second level. I have security cameras around the house and I want to make sure the new signal gets to all corners of the property. In your opinion folks, is this the proper setup for the home and will this be enough for 200 mbs from Xfinity?

I also want this to work my my Winston VPN service.

Thank you all very much for your support.

Jeff

Solution
I've had both AT&T and xfinity so I know exactly what you're doing. :)

It is much better to buy your own modem, that's for sure so you can avoid the mandatory 'hotspot' APs that are forced to be enabled on their box. But as Ralston18 pointed out, be sure that this modem is on the supported modem list or there will be finger pointing when something isn't working right. I would actually recommend an arris product vs the linksys. Personally I use the sb6190 with my 600/15 xfinity plan and also with a wow 500/50 plan and they've both been perfect.

I would also strongly reconsider using wireless security cameras as they can easily be jammed by a wifi jammer. These are the type of devices professional thieves will most definitely have.

Ralston18

Titan
Interim question:

"Linksys CM3024 High Speed DOCSIS 3.0 24x8 Cable Modem (recommended)."

Is that recommendation via Xfinity? Just be aware that if you have devices that are not on Xfinity's list then any problems are likely to be immediately deemed as "yours".

As for the location of the router: centralized and "high" is a generic starting point. House design and general layout/distances may cause issues due to lack of wiring (electrical, cable, network) or blockage and/or interference with wireless signals. Internally and externally; e.g. neighboring networks.

How many wired and wireless devices are being supported?

Can you sketch out and post a simple floor plan? No personal information needed. Just rooms and proposed device locations.

Show ISP entrance point, existing patch panels, wall jacks, etc..

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Always helps to get a sense of the big picture.

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Hello, first, thank you for the response.

Secondly, I know that Xfinity as a rental agreement with their product, but I would feel more comfortable buying my own.

And, my home design being what they call a tri-level is, on one side of the house you have a half sunken room (half is below ground level and have above ground) and an upstairs usually with bedrooms and bath, then on the other side of the house you usually have your kitchen, dining room, and entrance.

So if I place the router on the upper level, that should cover the entire home?

I've had both AT&T and xfinity so I know exactly what you're doing. :)

It is much better to buy your own modem, that's for sure so you can avoid the mandatory 'hotspot' APs that are forced to be enabled on their box. But as Ralston18 pointed out, be sure that this modem is on the supported modem list or there will be finger pointing when something isn't working right. I would actually recommend an arris product vs the linksys. Personally I use the sb6190 with my 600/15 xfinity plan and also with a wow 500/50 plan and they've both been perfect.

I would also strongly reconsider using wireless security cameras as they can easily be jammed by a wifi jammer. These are the type of devices professional thieves will most definitely have.

Solution