Question New New PC for camera CCTV

Sep 19, 2023
Hello all,

I am in need of an experienced/expert advice for the purchase of a new PC.

I am essentially looking for 1 PC.....with a GPU capable of supporting 6 monitors @ 4k resolution. it does not have to be top tier...it just has to meet specs, although I would prefer best bang for buck if you know what i mean

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A quick search reveals that some of the older Radeon 7xxx series claim to support 6 monitors at 4K. I cannot even imagine the framerate and chop that would produce.

Almost every PC/DVR for CCTV that I have installed was paired with a very large TV with duplex mode from the DVR. I have not worked the head end of a system like that in something like 6 or so years, so surely a LOT has changed over that time.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

I don't go so far as to recommend any of these, but a quick search pulled them up. Comment above notwithstanding.

I note that some of the newer enthusiast or gaming type cards only support 4. I am not saying I looked at everything available. It may be worthwhile to limit searches to more along the lines of a workstation card.

Newegg has a filter on their graphics card page for 6 outputs, so that may help as well.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
maybe this is what you're looking for?

Reactions: punkncat
Sep 19, 2023
maybe this is what you're looking for?
yes 'essentially'.....need a pc that will support the same

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
yes 'essentially'.....need a pc that will support the same

Are you having to capture the video with this PC as well, or will you basically be 'dialing in' to the video feed and putting them across the screens?
Do you need control of the camera or feed from the PC, and have you considered that integration from a discrete DVR or possibly a capture card and software?

What budget do you have for this build and where are you shopping?

Sep 19, 2023
this is what i am asking ....if a 1070 is overkill what would be ideal?

i just want a pc...and i want to connect atleast 6 4k monitors to it...thats all....it will not be used for anything else other than monitoring cctv

Sep 19, 2023
Are you having to capture the video with this PC as well, or will you basically be 'dialing in' to the video feed and putting them across the screens?
Do you need control of the camera or feed from the PC, and have you considered that integration from a discrete DVR or possibly a capture card and software?

What budget do you have for this build and where are you shopping?Corre
Correct...i only want to be able to monitor...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, it does.

So basically you would want to peruse graphics cards to find one that has the output ability you want. The suggestion above is solid. Then find out what kind of power supply is needed, alongside the dimensions of the card to then select a case that will fit the graphics card. From there a matching motherboard/cpu/RAM combo that is also the correct form factor for fitment.

If all you are doing is viewing, you won't need much by way of CPU. Micro-ATX is the least expensive option for motherboards and cases.

If you have a MicroCenter nearby look into something like the 3600 deal they have going alongside something like a 4xx or 5xx motherboard that does not need a BIOS update to use with it. You can also opt for onboard features like wireless and whatnot, or add an additional card/dongle/etc.

Including the general pricing for the card linked above and the assumption of least expensive as possible this project should be able to come in under $600 sans monitors.

Sep 19, 2023
Soooo...there are some guys telling me i should just get 5 PC's....1 for each monitor...and i'm saying that doesn't make sense if monitors will only be used to view Network video......

Sep 19, 2023
i feel like if i were to get a decent full tower with the right video card it shouldn't be an issue....but i just would like advice on which 1 would be best......thats all

I'll throw in one more post just to provide a potential solution.

1. Get a recent-ish video card with at least 2 DP ports. 3 is preferred.
2. Buy a DP MST splitter. Because this is just for CCTV video, you're not going to need 60 FPS, and plenty of these support 4K30 outputs.
3. If you need more ports, buy another video card as needed.

Sep 19, 2023
I'll throw in one more post just to provide a potential solution.

1. Get a recent-ish video card with at least 2 DP ports. 3 is preferred.
2. Buy a DP MST splitter. Because this is just for CCTV video, you're not going to need 60 FPS, and plenty of these support 4K30 outputs.
3. If you need more ports, buy another video card as needed.
ok so i can split the display ports that's good......and the other ports (i.e 'a recent gpu) should support 4k@30fps

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not multiple PC, one PC that is of a type that can host the card RX5700 or other with the number of outputs you want. Not M-ITX because they are expensive and often lack expandability, the term was Micro-ATX, as they are the cheapest in cost and offer a good trade off for expandibility.

I have not used a video hub such as what is linked above so going on rather an assumption that isn't going to show the same video across all feeds connected to it. Can you comment on that aspect @hotaru.hino ?

I have not used a video hub such as what is linked above so going on rather an assumption that isn't going to show the same video across all feeds connected to it. Can you comment on that aspect @hotaru.hino ?
I presume they don't want 6 monitors showing the same thing.

But if they do, the solution I mentioned will work anyway since each stream in a DP MST acts like a separate monitor. So they just make it mirrored across the board.

Reactions: punkncat