New Nintendo Switch with Better Screen Coming in 2019 (Report)

bugnguts

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
How I would love it if Nintendo chose to upgrade hardware say from the 20nm Tegra X1 based on Maxwell to a 12nm FinFet Xavier based Volta. More efficient architecture on a more efficient node. Nintendo could produce a 1080p switch with a longer battery life. Yes I like that a lot.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

They not going use new tech, they always use cheap alternatives like using old hardware.

Giroro

Splendid
Sometimes new tech IS the cheap alternative, when the old parts are no longer being manufactured in large volumes. That is why Nintendo usually has so many minor revisions.
plus, I can't imagine TSMC wants to keep their 20nm fab open for very much longer when they could be upgrading it to a more in-demand process.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

As a result, doing cheap cost cutting way resulted in easily broken products.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Definitely not. Xavier is not made as a normal Tegra SoC. It's big, but most of that compute is for AI. So, it will be a big, expensive chip that's not much faster for things like gaming.

The highest off-the-shelf part they would use is the TX2, which is still a decent upgrade. Of course, it's not impossible that Nintendo got Nvidia to make a custom SoC, like what AMD has been doing for the bigger consoles.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Eh, it's nothing new. The site has covered big console news stories for at least the past 5 years.

I don't see what's the big deal. It's just the occasional story - not crowding out anything. Even for PC loyalists, it could be interesting to keep tabs on the "competition" offered by other devices.

Are you referring to Nintendo? Their hardware failure rates have traditionally been a lot lower than the other console manufacturers, so I would hardly say that their products are "easily broken".

TRENDING THREADS