[SOLVED] New Noctua D15 Sounds like a Jet engine when I do anything.

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
So my old AIO Cooler (H80i) was dying. My idle temps were likt 55-60c, gaming temps would end up being 65-75c. So I decided to purchase a Noctua nh D15 as it had a lot of recommendations.
now that I've installed it, I've lost like 10-20c on my temps.
However the fan roars when I do anything. Open a browser? Jet engine noises. If im browsing youtube or a stream, changing videos/streams will make it loud too. Honestly even loading new pages sometimes causes it. Also playing a game/changing maps makes it happen often. Its SUPER annoying. Is there anyway I can just normalize it so its not changing so much? or running at a higher(but same) speed all the time?

Im running an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x.
Windows 10.

Solution
The fans that are plugged into the CPU fan header will all be affected by the change in fan speed. So if your noctua fan and 2 case fans are connected via the CPU fan header, changing the fan speed of CPU fan will change the fan speed for all 3 fans.

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Try adjusting the fan curve. Make it so that your fans don't ramp up much until you hit atleast 60c. You can do that in the BIOS.
Well, the program that came with my motherboard (Ai Suite 3) Is only letting me change 2 of them: CPU Fan and Chasis Fan 1.

I have a total of 4 fans in my pc, The 2 attached to the Noctua fan, the one in the Top-back area, and the last on the ceiling of the case. I connect the two CPU fans right next to eachother in my motherboard (North of the CPU socket) while the Back fan was connect to the West of the CPU socket.

Does CPU Fan indicated BOTH of the cpu fans? I would think I could edit them seperately, no?
and i believe the chasis fan is the one on top?

The fans that are plugged into the CPU fan header will all be affected by the change in fan speed. So if your noctua fan and 2 case fans are connected via the CPU fan header, changing the fan speed of CPU fan will change the fan speed for all 3 fans.

Reactions: Klaz49
Solution

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
After looking at my motherboard online, the 2x Noctua fans are connected to CPU_Fan and CPU_OPT, while the Fan in the back is connected to CHA_Fan1.

so both of the Noctua's fans are considered CPU_Fan?

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Yep that's the disadvantage of daisy chaining
Got it, thanks alot for the help/info. I got 1 final question related to my CPU (not really cooling related?) I notice my game temp is super good, like 46-51c. However whenever I load into a new area/map the CPU temp spikes to like 60c+ for a few seconds. Is that normal? (for AMD?)

Got it, thanks alot for the help/info. I got 1 final question related to my CPU (not really cooling related?) I notice my game temp is super good, like 46-51c. However whenever I load into a new area/map the CPU temp spikes to like 60c+ for a few seconds. Is that normal? (for AMD?)
Completely normal. When you load into new areas, you get spikes in CPU usage which are accompanied by spikes in temperature.

Reactions: Klaz49