New NVIDIA cards eventually.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Does anyone rekon the new NVIDIA cards will be relatively close to the the new ati 5000 series in energy efficieny? Such as the 5850 only using 151 watts and being almost as powerful as a gtx 285. If not then NVIDIA has let down lol. I will buy ATI in the future, seeing how i wil not have to upgrade my psu or overspend too much on an NVIDIA graphics card. Currently i have a GTS 250, and have been criticle about how the GTS 250 uses 150 watts, and the ATI 4850 uses 110 watts, and the ATI card is almost the same as the GTS 250 in perofrmance. Gives the impression that NVIDIA are being like AMD's phenom ii 965 in the way that it consumes too much power and is less efficient, despite NVIDIA have slightly better performance overall

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
that could really go either way - nvidia havnt posted a whole heap about whats actually going on inside their geforce 300 series other than the chip itself. you could be guessing right up until November too (or whenever they're releasing it). they're being rather tight on details this time round.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
would you say that the 5850 is about as powerful as a GTX 280? Is the GTX 280 above the GTX 275? I don't know much about the 280. i think i like ATI better, because of a number of reasons. Firstly their energy efficienty. That they have their pci power connectors at the front of the board. They are generally smaller than NVIDIA cards. I like their control panel, actually feels easier to use, and also the settings for aa and af seem better in that they have a moving picture showing you what the current settings would be like. NVIDIA don't do this. Although for NVIDIA you get more options to use, and the cpu and gpu overclock and features are all organised into one control panel which is convenient. But i think to be honest ATI control panel overall is better than NVIDIA, it's easier to relate to and other settings that you don't need are cut out. you get temperature sensors and overclocking settings in the control panel all in one package without having to install ntune like you do on nvidia.

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
it is going to be hard to compare because GT300 is a GPGPU centric chip. In games it may consume more power, but in GPGPU computing it maybe far more efficient based on Performance per Watt. THe 5870 is more for gaming so far. I think it is still too early to be comparing and making assumptions, it is best to leave it until some benchies come out

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

yes they are generally smaller board...but google come ati 5xxx series and you will see huge video cards
Gtx 275 is the successor of the Gtx 280, and is better (ofcourse, otherwise nobody would buy them)

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
it is actually better? I thought it was better than the 275 but less better than the 285. So when more drivers are released for the 5850 it could be better or the same as the GTX 285 quite solidly?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i mean in terms of sheer performance. Also, since the drivers are early, could that mean that as they get more experience, the perofrmance of the 5850 will be driven up? And solidly mathc or beat the GTX 285? But that sounds crazy, and at the moment it seems like it will take a long time before NVIDIA comes out with something better. Have ATI always been more energy efficient than NVIDIA has, in general not that all ATI cards may be more energy efficient and better performance per watt? So yeah, i'll wait until NVIDIA comes out with something new, and compare them to the ATI cards. Although, 1 5850 sounds enough for a 1280 x 1024 resolution. Even since i am playing Crysis. So it seems like i am deemed for ATI, since i am not really going to want anything more powerful than a 5850 seriously.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
lol NVIDIA seriously underestimated ATI. ATI being the sleeping dragon. Those results are unreal lol. ATI cards are seriously alien hardware. 151 watts for that amount of performance is revolutionary. So i should be getting that then possibly. Not a 4870, its just because the 5850 seems to only consume one more watt than my graphics card (gts 250), and i want to check that thing out eventhough it might be overkill for my computer.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
why do i need driver sweeper. Why not use programs and features in control pannel and uninstall it from there. Then delete any undeleted files. Or possibly use CCleaner to uninstall the display driver which i already have. You're not trying to get me to waste more money on some rubbish lol?!?! If i have to pay for it forget it. No software on my computer has been bought apart from vista, and the old microsoft word. All the other stuff is legal free version software. Unless it helps me greatly and is not too expensive i will buy it.

there are free versions of driver sweeper program. you can check guru3d or just google something like driver cleaner pro. many people use such program to easily clean any left over by the older/previous drivers.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
what's wrong with program and features and uninstalling it from there? It doesn't properly remove them? But i have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers all the time, including going from ati to nvidia and i have had no problems using control panel's program and features to uninstall drivers. The drivers have their own official uninstallation process anyway. ATI and NVIDIA drivers have an uninstallation program.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i don't see how they're selling something to uninstall drivers lol. it should be completely free, it's not like its giving you an extraordinary service that it deserves to be paid. It's like paying to go into my own house everytime i enter the door. I will not agree with the point of view at all, that one has to pay to get drivers properly removed from the computer.

You don't NEED it, but it's better to make sure you have nothing left over, and the best way to do that is to download the free version of driver cleaner pro.

As to why they sell it, why not? It provides utility above and beyond what the IHVs provide. It shouldn't be free, your job should be free :p , if anything it shouldn't be needed if both companies did a much better job of removing their sticky drivers.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
seems like nvidia or ati should sort out their driver uninstalations properly. Instead of people having to resort to buying driver sweeper. Ok use the free demo, but after that i think it should be left and not be bought. It's like driverdetective. I'm sick to death when i'm looking for my drivers on a previous computer, and i open up a page, instead of having my ati drivers it comes up with driver detective. It occurs in the majority of the pages i open up as welll. Ultimately you have to pay for driver detective, all it does is find drivers for you , and that does not justify it at all. I don't evenknow if it would do the job properly.