[SOLVED] New nvidia driver seemingly lowers laptop GPU power limit

moosavi mohammad

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Hi,
I have an Acer Predator Triton 500 with the RTX 2060.
Until recently I was using nvidia drivers version 441.87 and the GPU core clock would usually settle on 1540 MHz steady in games (Gears 5, Control, ...) and it was totally stable with a +160 overclock making it 1700 MHz.
two weeks ago I got RDR2 and it asked me to update the drivers. So i updated to version 442.59. Surprisingly the GPU clock never passed 1480 MHz and even overclocking it didn't work as much as it used to and I could never get a stable 1600 MHz.
Today I even updated to the newest drivers (version 445.75) and the situation is the same.
I used DDU to revert back to 441.87 and even benchmarked RDR2 with new and old drivers.
With my own custom settings new driver gave me 61 FPS and old driver gives me 66 FPS! Also Control is giving me 3-4 FPS more when using the old drivers.
As i said I can't even reach previous clock speeds with overclocking so I assume there is a power limitation thing going on.
Is there a way to work around this problem and have new drivers installed but with the older power limits?

Solution
Check predator sense if there is option to tweak power limit (for GPU), i remember seeing one of these laptops and atleast CPU had power limit options for that model.

Your issue will be probably solved soon with a hotfix or new update, look for "beta" drivers meanwhile.

I would also still check what max temperatures are you getting since acer laptops with i7 can have overheating issues which cause downclock on the GPU (even high temps for CPU and PCH), and new update might of tweaked the values so it comes sooner.

Download hwmonitor and leave it backround then game for 1h or so and take a pic of cpu core temps and gpu / pch temperatures.
Check predator sense if there is option to tweak power limit (for GPU), i remember seeing one of these laptops and atleast CPU had power limit options for that model.

Your issue will be probably solved soon with a hotfix or new update, look for "beta" drivers meanwhile.

I would also still check what max temperatures are you getting since acer laptops with i7 can have overheating issues which cause downclock on the GPU (even high temps for CPU and PCH), and new update might of tweaked the values so it comes sooner.

Download hwmonitor and leave it backround then game for 1h or so and take a pic of cpu core temps and gpu / pch temperatures.

Solution