New Nvidia Drivers 295.73 Improve Performance in Skyrim

Status
Not open for further replies.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
"New Nvidia Drivers 295.73 Improve Performance in Skyrim"

Ok, I'll go first: I had 285.xx driver once, but then I got an arrow to the knee... :D :D :D

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Are those 3rd party results (ie Tom's own) or are those results published by Nvidia?

If supplied by Nvidia then I will take it with a grain of salt. I have seen both Nvidia and ATI/AMD make bold claims about performance increases from diver updates and the actual real world results hardly ever reflect the graphs provided by the company.

If they are indeed actual 3rd party tests and results, then kudos to Nvidia, because that is a good jump in performance.

Devoteicon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
[citation][nom]KT_WASP[/nom]Are those 3rd party results (ie Tom's own) or are those results published by Nvidia?[/citation]

More than likely they are from Nvidia judging by the choice of colors (black and green).

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I notice loads take longer between areas in Skyrim now but that may be due to HD texture pack and some stuttering in new areas that goes away after a little while. This is on a 590GTX 3 screens at 5760x1080. I may go back to regular textures just because of the load times. They used to be very quick. I have also had video player crash when trying to play a large file size, maybe unrelated to driver but I have always prided myself on how stable the system has always been so it is unusual and only started after driver update.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Not fanboy-ing here at all because i like to use what works in regards to performance.

For Skyrim:

Had a GTX 460 1GB and kept getting a driver crash but it would then recover, frames were good in game with jacked-settings but sometimes choppy indoors. Reinstalling windows and using different driver versions did not resolve the issue.

Same results with a GTX 480 on a different rig, good frames but interrupted here and there by that driver crash message.

Switched to a 6950 1GB, same settings, OC a little, all is well, no choppiness and no crashes.

If Nvidia could get rid of that driver crashing issue i would install my 480 again and let her rip... It's a common issue it seems after googling it.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]... It's a common issue it seems after googling it.[/citation]To be honest I never had any choppiness or stuttering before the driver update even at Ultra. The only stuttering has been on loading new areas and I blame it on the HD texture pack more than anything and the very high res. I'm pushing. I can live without the high res since it looks good either way I think.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
This might sound dumb, but I usually play a game after a few solid months/1 year after its release, when all the patches/DLCs/drivers are done fixing up good/improving the game. As the best example, when I played Mass Effect 2, the game worked like a charm, virtually no bugs, a ton of content, and great fun. By that time, all of what was missing was the yet unreleased "Arival", which I've completed afterwards.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]Anyone still playing skyrim? Seriously? Also I had problems installing the 3dvision drivers for some reason.[/citation]

Of course people still play Skyrim. It is not that old, they just released the mod tools, and it has hundreds of hours of gameplay. So unless you completed Everything there is to do in Skyrim, (In which case you should probably take a shower since you haven't moved from in front of the screen since release) then there is more than enough reasons to still be playing Skyrim.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Btw, there was a SERIOUS driver issu on pre-295 drivers, where you got a black screen on Windows Movie Maker. I was forced to use 29x beta drivers in order to make WMM to work, hope they got a permanent fix.

Granter

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
have zotac 560, and q6600, unclocked it wasnt doing to well on medium.

Clocked it from 820 to 925 original volt, and cpu a littlebit aswell from 2.4 to 2.8ghz. Could play on high everything without a problem, now with this upgrade i can play the game maxed out, amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.