New Nvidia GeForce Driver Preps You For 'Star Trek: Bridge Crew,' 'Tekken 7'

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Comparing Windows 7 and Windows 10 issues...only one issue with Windows 7...no wonder why i use Win7 for gaming.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I had exactly zero issues to complain about until I (stupidly) installed the Creators Update. Now, occasionally GW2 will crash during the zone loading screen, and refuse to let me kill the gw2-64.exe process no matter what I do. Process Hacker shows that it is directly linked to a nvidia kernel driver, so it requires a hard reboot.
On a lesser annoying note, the gamma settings reset after exiting any game.

Nice work, Nvidia and MS--my system was rock solid before. Guess its my own dumb fault for wiping the restore files, cuz now I'm stuck with CE version until they fix the bugs.

Teddy Vetter

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
get used to it, windows 10 is going to be a "new" version of windows every 6 months..... along with an endless line of bugs that will never get fixed....

personally, this is the last nail being hammered in the coffin of computer gaming(whats left of it) in microsoft's push to get people over to the xbox.

I loved computer gaming, but in the last 10 years microsoft has done the exact opposite of what they claimed they would do when they released the xbox.... they have killed pc gaming. And yes i know the "creators update" has some abomination called "gaming mode" but im willing to bet that disabling it will make the pc run smoother.... just like killing superfetch and services of the like...

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Yeah, gaming mode definitely caused a performance hit in some benchmarks i ran (even with the overlay/recording disabled), so i just leave it off.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Yeah I started a thread right after CU because of all the problems I encountered with the NV driver that accompanied it. Several drivers later NV still hasn't fixed those issues and consequently I'm still running 379.92. Their driver support is beyond flushed down the drain at this point. I mean, how bad is it when you make a game ready driver for 2 games and meanwhile cause issues for like a dozen.

I'm mad at MS too. This 6 month thing is ridiculous. They just need to fix what they have rather than trying cram more crap features they'll probably have to patch in another 6-12 months due to security exploits.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
So far I havent had any crashes with this latest driver (382.33)---maybe they fixed the issue I was having. GW2 was patched (again) today, could have been them too. Gamma bug still exists though.

nVidia still hasn't fixed their updating issue. I haven't bothered with the last 3 updates because it's ridiculous that I have to uninstall, run DDU, then install the latest every time they make a new driver. So much for AMD being the ones with poor driver support.

Sucks that AMD didn't make a viable mobile GPU when I was in the market for my laptop...feeling like I got stuck with this 1060 3gb.

sn8ke_iis

Prominent
May 23, 2017
For you guys having so many problems with Win 10 and new Nvidia drivers just install Win 7. I couldn't be happier. Updating to the first Creators Update a few months back turned into a huge fiasco, so I bought a copy of Win 7. I've had 0 issues since I switched back and I have a Titan Xp. I always apply security patches and have firewalls so I didn't get hit with that ransomware attack. Seriously, the burden shouldn't be on Nvidia or game developers to fix their software every time Microsoft breaks it with an update for unnecessary features I don't use. Win 7 is stable, doesn't change, everything is right where I left it. Win 10 is mostly spyware and pathetic attempts by Microsoft to monetize an OS they already sold us. Vote with your dollar and reject all this nonsense. As an older guy who first started using MSDOS and the first versions of Windows I can't believe consumers are actually putting up with this. Generally speaking, government and enterprise haven't switched over. If consumers follow suit. Microsoft will have to respond.

G

From my experience, Windows 10 i just horrible for everything...horrible updates, horrible bugs and gaming experience is horrible as well. I am an enthusiast and always excited for new things but Windows 10 is definitely garbage so yeah i am on Windows 7 which works wonderful. Now, the sad part is that i won't be able to keep Windows 7 indefinitely and yet MS is not offering anything worth replacing it.

Actually, that is their responsibility. They received the CU before the rest of us and had a good amount of time to fix their crap. Why is it that AMD doesn't have these issues? I have zero problems updating drivers on my R9 390 with Windows 10. However, my laptop which I bought in November and came with Windows 10, can't update without a ridiculous amount of effort.

nVidia is a GPU company, it is on them to make their stuff work.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

This comment deserves some corrections:
With regard referring to Creators' Update as a fiasco... An experienced MS-DOS up through contemporary Win10 would have been aware of some free disk imaging software that could allow a volume shadow snapshot of the working OS to be taken PRIOR to upgrading. Options I have found useful:
1 - Macrium Reflect Free, uses an XPE-like offline boot image
2 - Runtime dot org's Drive Image XML, uses Knoppix (Linux fork) boot image
Both allow easy image creation and restore as needed. Your fiasco could have been avoided had you followed a standard 'backup, then upgrade' strategy.

Ransomware: I will assume you are referring to the WannaCry SMB exploit... Based on the EternalBlue SMB exploit, which M$ patched under MS17-010 on 14 March, 2017. Win7 has been recorded as the most affected/hit across several websites: https://www.cnet.com/news/wannacry-ransomware-microsoft-windows-7-worst-hit/
Recommending users revert to Win7 ill-advised.

"Win 10 is mostly spyware and pathetic attempts by Microsoft to monetize an OS" ... Windows 10, out of the box uses a lot of 'telemetry' tools. These can be disabled. Recommend taking a look at Spybot Anti-Beacon (portable, not installer version). The 'spyware' features can be disabled. The utility is free.

A software firewall would not have been useful in this instance if someone had clicked on a phishing attack, unto which this exploit has spread, via the SMB exploit.

Hopefully other readers can see your description, my answers, and better protect themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.