[SOLVED] new NVME is preventing POST

Feb 11, 2020
My computer has had 0 problems booting until i put in the 1TB WD SN550 today. it turned on and all fans are spinning but the VGA led is on in the EZ debug. when i remove the nvme drive the pc starts as it normally would. Any suggestions?

MSI MAG Z390 motherboard
i5 9600K
Corsair vengeance 3200 16GB ram (xmp off right now)
1 ssd that has windows on it
1 hdd that has games installed on it
I have taken out my graphics card and am running off the cpu’s integrated graphics

[SOLVED]
i updated my BIOS and everything works as it should now

Last edited:
Solution
If all works well with it removed, enter your BIOS, make sure that your existing SATA devices are not on a conflicting port (sometimes SATA ports 1 and 2 can conflict with first NVME M.2 slot, and, ports 5,6 might interfere with 2nd M.2 port...

Check NVME is enabled for associated port. (I'd not expect it to hard lock like that, so, we cannot rule out it being defective, or, possibly the BIOS gets confused with that particular device....

Do you have another NVME drive you can test in the same slot? (When just one device does not work, it can be diffcult to narrow the root cause. (MB, BIOS, BIOS settings, or drive itself)
If all works well with it removed, enter your BIOS, make sure that your existing SATA devices are not on a conflicting port (sometimes SATA ports 1 and 2 can conflict with first NVME M.2 slot, and, ports 5,6 might interfere with 2nd M.2 port...

Check NVME is enabled for associated port. (I'd not expect it to hard lock like that, so, we cannot rule out it being defective, or, possibly the BIOS gets confused with that particular device....

Do you have another NVME drive you can test in the same slot? (When just one device does not work, it can be diffcult to narrow the root cause. (MB, BIOS, BIOS settings, or drive itself)

Solution
Feb 11, 2020

so i solves the problem. I updated my BIOS and everything worked fine. thanks for the suggestion though :)