[SOLVED] New NVME M.2 just boots to bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deankenny

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
I have got x570 prime pro, and a Corsair MP force 600 gen 4 m.2

I used a windows usb to then boot and install windows onto my new m.2, all the while my old Sata SSD has been connected as i move stuff off of it to keep on my new drive.
So with both connected system boots to a multiple windows selection as windows now installed on both, I select my corsair m.2 it logs into windows and everything is fine.
However upon disconnecting my old sata ssd as I hand it down to my sons computer, my new system no longer boots, just goes straight to bios, m.2 is recognised, but it's not in the boot options, ive tried csm enabled and disabled etc but that just leads to an error saying press any key to continue unbootable media blah blah.

What is happening here, windows has been installed sucessfully on it, because if i reconnect my old sata ssd, everything boots fine and I can boot into my new m.2 with no issues, but as soon as I remove old ssd I can no longer boot.

Please help

Solution
Sure..... Disk 0 is the old SSD, Disk 1 is the new M.2
Ok ...
You'll have to create a new bootloader partition on nvme drive.
Execute following commands from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
(if you get any errors then stop immediately)

diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition x
(select 1863GB partition, x=1 or x=2)​
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:

Here's, how to open elevated command prompt...

USAFRet

Titan
"all the while my old Sata SSD has been connected "
"So with both connected system boots to a multiple windows selection as windows now installed on both "
"disconnecting my old sata ssd as I hand it down to my sons computer, my new system no longer boots "

The boot partition resides on the old SSD. The info for both installs is merged into one.

You can either do a full reinstall on the new SSD, with ONLY that drive connected.
Or, there are procedures of creating that boot partition on the new drive. But I am not 100% sure of the specific commandline commands, and don't want to lead you down the wrong path.

deankenny

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
I have spent alot of time, a week now setting my new m.2 up with games, files, documents, drivers, updates until I was ready to hand old ssd down to my son, so I would very much prefer to keep everything regardless of how awkward it is or in depth, if someone can let me know how, would much appreciate it.

If it's any help, I still have my old sata ssd to hand.

USAFRet

Titan
I have spent alot of time, a week now setting my new m.2 up with games, files, documents, drivers, updates until I was ready to hand old ssd down to my son, so I would very much prefer to keep everything regardless of how awkward it is or in depth, if someone can let me know how, would much appreciate it.

If it's any help, I still have my old sata ssd to hand.
Paging @SkyNetRising ....
Your expertise is needed, sir.

Reactions: Floef

USAFRet

Titan
And for future reference:

The first part of that speaks directly as to why you want only ONE drive connected when you do the install. Reconnect other ones later.

deankenny

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
Wondering if this would work as it mentions sata, wondering if would work for m.2

RxzBUX7.png

deankenny

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
Yep, I understand now, hopefully I can get this EFI moved without having to endanger what I have installed so far on my new m.2
My 3080 is arriving soon, and hoping to have everything in check by then so can concentrate on gaming and a whole new world of problems with bsod and crashes, joys of pc building.

While we await Skynet, I shall share with you my new build.....

2VQPsuB.jpeg

USAFRet

Titan
Yep, I understand now, hopefully I can get this EFI moved without having to endanger what I have installed so far on my new m.2
My 3080 is arriving soon, and hoping to have everything in check by then so can concentrate on gaming and a whole new world of problems with bsod and crashes, joys of pc building.

While we await Skynet, I shall share with you my new build.....
Nice.
A bit gaudy for my taste, but well done.

Sure..... Disk 0 is the old SSD, Disk 1 is the new M.2
Ok ...
You'll have to create a new bootloader partition on nvme drive.
Execute following commands from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
(if you get any errors then stop immediately)

diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition x
(select 1863GB partition, x=1 or x=2)​
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:

Here's, how to open elevated command prompt.

After those commands are executed,
shutdown,​
disconnect all drives except nvme and try to boot your system.​

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.