New Odd Noise from Computer

Zombifreak

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Hello, I bought a prebuilt in May and it is working fine, however as of Friday it started making a slightly annoying noise that sounds like a whirring noise. I haven't lifted up the computer since I initially received it, so I know I didn't knock any wires loose.

Here is the sound: https://streamable.com/a4p9l

I can't seem to locate the noise, it could be coming from any of the 3 case fans, the GPU fan, the CPU fan, the HDD, or even the PSU. As I said, it started on Friday and doesn't change based on intensity of computer usage. On Friday I remember it being slightly hotter than usual and also I accidentally had two games run at the same time which did slow down my computer for a few minutes.

Solution
Well electronics do make noise because of things like electromagnetic forces, transformer hum, singing capacitors, vibrations etc. and it only gets worse with time. Most likely the sources could be either your power supply or your GPU. Lets try to eliminate GPU from the equation if you have an integrated one you can try - or lets try to borrow a power supply from a friend to swap yours our with?

Zombifreak

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I bought the whole computer in May so I can't really say how old the GPU is. I guess what I really need to know is if the sound is the result of something horrible happening inside the computer that will slowly destroy a component.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
Well electronics do make noise because of things like electromagnetic forces, transformer hum, singing capacitors, vibrations etc. and it only gets worse with time. Most likely the sources could be either your power supply or your GPU. Lets try to eliminate GPU from the equation if you have an integrated one you can try - or lets try to borrow a power supply from a friend to swap yours our with?

Solution

Zombifreak

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Unfortunately removing parts will void the warranty on this computer, so in this case I will wait a few more weeks to see if any damage occurs at which point I'd have to get a replacement. Thank you for helping figure out it wasn't something simple like the case fans.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016

No problem. Feel free to come back to discuss more if you want to - or if additional information becomes available.