AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hello,

I've been asked by my father to put together a PC for their coder at work. He uses:
  • Compiling(almost everything under the sun)
  • Multiple VMWare
  • Sometimes SQL Servers for testing
  • 4 Monitors

The theme for the build is "as cheap as possible without bottlenecking the CPU".

I was sent this list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor (£679.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler (£44.08 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard (£149.97 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£160.91 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£100.04 @ BT Shop)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card (£149.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1284.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-30 14:25 BST+0100

I don't agree with the cooler at all and I'm not sure the VRM on the motherboard, is suitable for a 3950x. I'm looking for alternatives myself as well.

Aside from that PSU and CASE is needed:
The PSU does not need to leave a ton of headroom.
The CASE has to be as small as possible for an ATX, discreet and grey or black, no side window.

Any suggestions for optimization are welcome. I'm aware he may need to shell out a bit more on the motherboard and cooler, but try to keep the rest within the same price range.

Hope you can help me out.

Solution
D
Looks like a GREAT build! Just what he will need. I would not go below a 3950X for any professional work, despite what many others may say, especially when you need all that performance and IPC for many VMs like we do at work on a single workstation. That workload demands the best. You can get away with less but the 3950X is the shiz right now. best of the best.

we have put many 3950X boxes to work here doing just that development and testing stuff. Those boxes rule

Get a GOOD QUALITY PSU dude, don't be afraid to spend a bit on a good SeaSonic or EVGA or better unit. I recommend the Gold too for max efficiency.

Lian-Li has some nice all aluminum cases that would be a perfect fit. Easy to work with, never cuts your hands, no tools...
D

Deleted member 14196

Looks like a GREAT build! Just what he will need. I would not go below a 3950X for any professional work, despite what many others may say, especially when you need all that performance and IPC for many VMs like we do at work on a single workstation. That workload demands the best. You can get away with less but the 3950X is the shiz right now. best of the best.

we have put many 3950X boxes to work here doing just that development and testing stuff. Those boxes rule

Get a GOOD QUALITY PSU dude, don't be afraid to spend a bit on a good SeaSonic or EVGA or better unit. I recommend the Gold too for max efficiency.

Lian-Li has some nice all aluminum cases that would be a perfect fit. Easy to work with, never cuts your hands, no tools required, lasts a lifetime and can be reused. I would not recommend too small a case as cooling could be an issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AtotehZ
Solution

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Yea, I think I'll get a plus gold certified PSU close to the required wattage(adjusted for TDP + 50W minimum)

I still don't agree with the cooler. And still not sure about the motherboard. Won't it throttle the CPU if the VRM is bad?

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
So these are the upgrades I'm thinking could help the build:
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard -> Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Cooler: NH-L12S -> NH-C14S

As for the PSU, maybe a Corsair TX650M?

Still not sure about which case to go for. I would really like some help there. They like clean looks at my father's workplace.(they develop electronics)

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
He has ordered the computer and this is what he ended up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($722.41 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($106.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1287.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-04 15:40 EDT-0400

The case is a Chieftec Elox Series HO-11B(the one ordered is not with PSU).

He wanted Micro-ATX all of a sudden so had to make some changes. I told him he'd have to look at the cooler again if the CPU throttles under load, but aside from that the system should function fine.

He has ordered the computer and this is what he ended up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($722.41 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($106.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1287.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-04 15:40 EDT-0400

The case is a Chieftec Elox Series HO-11B(the one ordered is not with PSU).

He wanted Micro-ATX all of a sudden so had to make some changes. I told him he'd have to look at the cooler again if the CPU throttles under load, but aside from that the system should function fine.

What a bad choice for the motherboard.

https://i.redd.it/timhhrx2d2631.png

He bought the worst X570 board that is at the bottom of the VRM's tier list. That board + the 3950X will be an horrible combo. You will see the VRM's melt on that board with that CPU.

If he have freezing issues, voltages issues, CPU being limited and can't boost to the advertised speed don't look any further than that board.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
What a bad choice for the motherboard.

https://i.redd.it/timhhrx2d2631.png

He bought the worst X570 board that is at the bottom of the VRM's tier list. That board + the 3950X will be an horrible combo. You will see the VRM's melt on that board with that CPU.

If he have freezing issues, voltages issues, CPU being limited and can't boost to the advertised speed don't look any further than that board.

Yep, there were no other mATX X570 available, AT ALL. I was pretty frustrated about it as well.

Just to clarify, there's a lot of justified criticism of the ASRock X570 Pro4, but it's all directed at overclocking. Something this system will never see.
Also, my father as spent the last 30 years of his life developing electronics that work with the least expensive parts required. Will be hard to convince him to go away from the standard he wants(mATX) to get something he doesn't need(overclocking). In other words, seeing will be believing. If he needs it he'll have to see it first and then I'll get the replacement parts for him.

Last edited:

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Case in point.

I assembled the computer today... but had to stop at the PSU installation when I realized the crap PSU he bought because he thought the one on the list wasn't necessary didn't have the right connectors. So now he ordered a new one and the cheap one is shelved. Wasted the cost of a PSU and time to save $30 on a PSU -.- in a $1500+ system.

The one he got was a Chieftec I-Arena 500W. It doesn't have the 8-pin CPU connector that's necessary to run the CPU. So now we play the waiting game till the right PSU arrives xD

I told him the CV550W would do if he didn't wanna give the extra $20 to go for a modular TX-M 550W.

Last edited: