Question New old video card, nothing on screen

villandra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I just installed a new second hand video card from the reputable computer resell place where I work. The computer came on, and stayed on - CPU fan running - but nothing ever appeared on the monitors. It didn't even get to the bios screen. Nothing appeared on the third monitor that is connected with teh onboard video, either.

I unplugged everything, took the card out, put it back, plugged the cables back in, same thing.

I can get the card tested in a different machine on Monday or Tuesday.

But, some people are saying that it might be a driver or multicard issue, even though it does not display bios?

The new card is a Core Radeon R7 240, and the old one is an older Radeon HD 5---. It's an Intel board, DH67BL, running a second generation i5 processor. The old graphics card was running the Intel i915 driver and the AMD radeon driver that came with the Ubuntu 18.04 system.

I have a dvd-d plug and a vga plug for two monitors plugged into the video card, and a vga card with a dvd-i adapter plugged into the onboard video, same set on old card and new card.

I'm running Ubuntu, but I don't see where that matters when the bios boot screen didn't appear.

Jul 20, 2019
This happened to me the other day when I purchased a second hand 1070ti. What fixed it for me was using a different 8 pin power cable for the gpu. Also try a different pcie slot if you have one.