[SOLVED] New one on me! Takes 2 min for green light to come on

Jan 22, 2020
I am working on an Asus P7H55-M Pro Motherboard. When I plug in the power, no green light. If I wait ~2 min, the green light powers on and everything works normal.

When I unplug power for more than 30 sec, it goes back to the same ~2 min wait period.

During that ~2 min wait, I pulled the power to the MB and metered the output. All the power looks good, so I am pretty sure it isn't the PS.

Can anyone think of a reason why it might be doing this?

Solution
Yes, it would be silly to spend ANY amount of money on that old platform that was more than 100 bucks, and you won't FIND anything that isn't used for that price for that platform. And buying used is just buying the same situation you already have, if not immediately, certainly before long.

Even if you could get a brand new motherboard for 100 bucks, that's 100 bucks that would be far better put towards a newer platform. If you have to spend a significant amount of money then it should always be towards something newer and better than what you currently have no matter if we're talking CPUs, motherboards, graphics cards, power supplies, whatever.

Is this a gaming system, or what exactly is this system primarily used FOR if you don't...
Try replacing the CMOS battery.

Honestly, it's probably because the board is old and the capacitors are getting weak. It may take some time to charge them up and they are probably not holding a charge the way they did when they were new. This board is old enough that it is probably not far from needing to have the whole platform replaced, being ten years old.

Jan 22, 2020
Try replacing the CMOS battery.

Honestly, it's probably because the board is old and the capacitors are getting weak. It may take some time to charge them up and they are probably not holding a charge the way they did when they were new. This board is old enough that it is probably not far from needing to have the whole platform replaced, being ten years old.

Nope. That didn't fix it.

Super weird. I am guessing your right about the caps.

Any other ideas?

Jan 22, 2020
The cmos battery was just a 2032 and I gave a pack of those in my desk drawer. I was eager to try it out so, yeah, I replaced the cmos battery and re-tested the system (including resetting the bios) within a few minutes of your posting!!

Now I am heading to PC Parts Picker to price out a new build for him. If the caps are bad on the old motherboard, it needs to be replaced. I explained to him that he could spend $200+ on a replacement 2010 tech motherboard or spend a little more and have a newer system.

That seem like a good assessment?

Thanks again for your help!!

Jim

Yes, it would be silly to spend ANY amount of money on that old platform that was more than 100 bucks, and you won't FIND anything that isn't used for that price for that platform. And buying used is just buying the same situation you already have, if not immediately, certainly before long.

Even if you could get a brand new motherboard for 100 bucks, that's 100 bucks that would be far better put towards a newer platform. If you have to spend a significant amount of money then it should always be towards something newer and better than what you currently have no matter if we're talking CPUs, motherboards, graphics cards, power supplies, whatever.

Is this a gaming system, or what exactly is this system primarily used FOR if you don't mind my asking?

Solution
Jan 22, 2020

Is this a gaming system, or what exactly is this system primarily used FOR if you don't mind my asking?

It's a work buddies computer. It used for surfing the net, email, and his wife just started making YouTube videos. She only uses windows movie maker and has no issue with the encoding wait. I offered to build him something a little more robust that would work well with DaVinci Resolve or Adobe Premier Pro, but he said his wife is never going to get into anything that complicated and would only use Windows Movie maker.

I was thinking of offering up something in the line of a budget Home Build. I enjoy doing higher end builds, but this one might be fun. His current box is a midsized microATX, so I think I can reuse the case and PS. Even though he has (2) 1 TB drives, I think any new system should have SSD for the boot drive.

Sorry to derail from the MB thread. Maybe someone else will stumble across this and learn from it. There have many times I have spent WAY too much time trying to "fix" something that should have been scrapped and replaced!!

Thanks again, Darkbreeze!

Jim

I'd look at doing something like this maybe. The integrated graphics on this CPU are likely about as good as most entry level gaming cards from ten years ago, if not better, and certainly will support codecs and technology not supported on those older products. Four cores should be plenty for their needs and the single core and multithreaded performance should be significantly better than anything that was available at the time that system was built.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Signature Premium 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $207.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-23 13:36 EST-0500