[SOLVED] New or Upgrade Old?

Dec 30, 2021
i have an old office pc that had been upgraded previously before i owned it. its just over 8 years old but has some pretty good parts. not sure all of them off the top of my head but i know that it has an i-7 2600 and an ATI Radeon HD 6670, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, as well as a 1.5 tb hdd. Should i use some of these parts to create a new build or should i build a new system without these parts? ill probably still keep the hdd and the i7 to use in a new build, unless told otherwise.

i want to use my computer for music production, gaming, graphic design, and general internet browsing. it currently cannot run games as its too slow. not sure how to measure how slow it is but it takes roughly 14 seconds to load search results on google after being factory reset. ive cleaned the dust out of it as its been in my garage for about a month but it was running the same before putting it in my garage.

a side question that doesnt need to be answered but if youre up for it go ahead:
i have a no money currently and am underage so my job opportunities are limited, but this summer im looking to get a job at a fast food restaurant. so should i wait until then to pick parts? what parts are good for what i need? im thinking a budget of around 500 dollars unless its necessary that i spend more.

Last edited:
Solution
not to be rude, but whats wrong with the cpu?

They're assuming you knew 2600 wont be compatible. Sockets have changed several times since 2nd gen, we're up to 12th so a 6xx series motherboard, different cpu socket. i7 2600 was good in it's day but wont be coming along with you in a new build.
I'd do one of two things:

1; if it does what you need a PC to do, then don't upgrade anything. Ride it till a major part fails.

2; start over with a new motherboard, new CPU, and new RAM. Anything else would be optional, but an SSD would be recommended.

Dec 30, 2021
I'd do one of two things:

1; if it does what you need a PC to do, then don't upgrade anything. Ride it till a major part fails.

2; start over with a new motherboard, new CPU, and new RAM. Anything else would be optional, but an SSD would be recommended.

Nothing at all if it does what you need it to do.

It was a great CPU in its day and is still plenty good enough for many tasks.

If you have no complaints about performance, keep riding the same horse as I said.

If it's "slow", there's not a lot you can do if you don't change the motherboard. Your upgrade path is limited if you don't change the motherboard.

If you have the money and want to start over, go ahead.

Whether that would be money well spent is another question since we don't know exactly what tasks you do on a PC.

Dec 30, 2021
Nothing at all if it does what you need it to do.

It was a great CPU in its day and is still plenty good enough for many tasks.

If you have no complaints about performance, keep riding the same horse as I said.

If it's "slow", there's not a lot you can do if you don't change the motherboard. Your upgrade path is limited if you don't change the motherboard.

If you have the money and want to start over, go ahead.

Whether that would be money well spent is another question since we don't know exactly what tasks you do on a PC.
im going to edit my question to give more detail.