New OWC SSDs Do 285 MB/s Sustained

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read about this new SandForce controller..good things to come! But for $220 for 60GB, Intel X25-M 80Gb are $229. How bad do you want it??? I'm gonna wait until Gen 3 comes out from Intel!

P.S. Is that close to SATA II bandwidth of 3.0Gbps. I don't want to do the math....285MBps = 2,280Mbps = 2.23Gpbs < 3.0Gbps SATA II...Am I right? I'll settle for close.

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
wait a few years an it will be the standards for computers to have SSD and the rest will just be slowly eliminated from the market.

remember the very first drive being 5.25 for the computer in 1988 and cost 4000.00 for a 100 meg hard drive. good old brick drive.

Hard drive market will only advances in technology mechanical drives to non movement drives. hence Solid State Drives. anyways that is my 2 cents on it.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
The amazing thing here is that a startup company (Sandforce) is the ONLY one to be able to make a controller that even comes close to the Intel one. I love it when startups shake shit up.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]foscooter[/nom]P.S. Is that close to SATA II bandwidth of 3.0Gbps. I don't want to do the math....285MBps = 2,280Mbps = 2.23Gpbs < 3.0Gbps SATA II...Am I right? I'll settle for close.[/citation]

Yup, the SATA II speed limit has been hit by SSD's already. Keep in mind there is some overhead, so I doubt drives will ever go over 285MB/s on SATA II. Bring on SATA III!

Heck, as fast as their performance shot up, even SATA III will be saturated by SSD's soon.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]The amazing thing here is that a startup company (Sandforce) is the ONLY one to be able to make a controller that even comes close to the Intel one. I love it when startups shake shit up.[/citation]

Always best to look at stuff outside the box. Imagine if you gave the people with the creative minds at Sandforce the workforce and R&D budget of Intel....

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]Imagine if you gave the people with the creative minds at Sandforce the workforce and R&D budget of Intel....[/citation]

nerdgasm

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Yup, the SATA II speed limit has been hit by SSD's already. Keep in mind there is some overhead, so I doubt drives will ever go over 285MB/s on SATA II. Bring on SATA III! Heck, as fast as their performance shot up, even SATA III will be saturated by SSD's soon.[/citation]

lol forget SATA III, bring on Intel's Light Peak :D

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]Always best to look at stuff outside the box. Imagine if you gave the people with the creative minds at Sandforce the workforce and R&D budget of Intel....[/citation]

I would be willing to bet they would become Intel. I know what you are driving at, but once that level of money is in the game, it changes. That's why there are no 'cool' mega-companies.

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]lol forget SATA III, bring on Intel's Light Peak[/citation]

Give me light peak with an integrated power source (like USB) and I'll forgive Intel for being evil for a little bit :)

mouettus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
At last some decent sized HDD's so we can start about storing some media! I've been running a RAID1 + 2 external HDD's for years in fear of losing data.
50 years ago, we figured ourselves living in space today but no... we're still stressing about losing data over HDD's!
Rise SSD's, RISE!!!

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]oxxfatelostxxo[/nom]and by time i can afford a good sized one... maybe sustained 500mb/s ?the longer i hold out the better[/citation]
Don't hold out, buy an SSD NOW!. I got a 30GB a few months ago, an it is super fast even though it is not top of the line. Ubuntu fits in 15GB with space to spare, Win7 wants 20GB but 15GB is enough if you go to the trouble of updating the registry so that users and temporary files, and programs are stored somewhere else (HDD). But the difference is so noticeable is like going from SD tv to HD. When I have to use computers from other people or my older computers, I get impatient quicker because I have gotten use to the SSD's speed. So, don't wait, get a small one today, and two years from now you can get the 500GB one that will fill most of your important documents.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Don't hold out, buy an SSD NOW!. I got a 30GB a few months ago, an it is super fast even though it is not top of the line. Ubuntu fits in 15GB with space to spare, Win7 wants 20GB but 15GB is enough if you go to the trouble of updating the registry so that users and temporary files, and programs are stored somewhere else (HDD). But the difference is so noticeable is like going from SD tv to HD. When I have to use computers from other people or my older computers, I get impatient quicker because I have gotten use to the SSD's speed. So, don't wait, get a small one today, and two years from now you can get the 500GB one that will fill most of your important documents.[/citation]

Seriously the best $90 I've spent in years on computer parts. It's only 30GB, but I don't store any large files on this laptop. It added one hour to the battery life.

My Windows 7 install only consumes 6.2GB... of course I don't run a swap file or use System Restore, and I uninstall the Windows games and tablet components.

tainted_peak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Can't wait till these things are less than $2/ GB. Just think though the performance per dollar now. A year from now these things are going to be a standard and twice if now three times as fast and prices will be dirt cheap, all they have to go is penetrate the everyday consumer market......

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Can we get better sizing?
Choose a standard of 50, 100, 250, 500 gigabytes etc. or use 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 gibibytes.

Prehtty sweet though. I'm considering a 17" Sager, and I just may go for a 60GB boot drive and 500GB storage drive after all.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]foscooter[/nom]I've read about this new SandForce controller..good things to come! But for $220 for 60GB, Intel X25-M 80Gb are $229. How bad do you want it??? I'm gonna wait until Gen 3 comes out from Intel!P.S. Is that close to SATA II bandwidth of 3.0Gbps. I don't want to do the math....285MBps = 2,280Mbps = 2.23Gpbs < 3.0Gbps SATA II...Am I right? I'll settle for close.[/citation]

No, you are off. SATA uses 10 bit per byte due to protocol overhead. So 3 Gbps of protocol data translates into 300 MBps of user data. That's the theoretical maximum throughput of SATA II. So yes - this drive is pretty close to the theoretical maximum. That's why we have SATA 3 now...

G

why the newcomers on the hardisk market such OWC always try to focus on the high end consumers (3,66 $ / GB)? Logically this price means low sales; IMHO the strategy should go to sell more hardisk and cheaper to get their product known and massively tested .

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Because their are other costs then just the parts, like packaging. Imagine if they made a bunch of cheap hard-disks. Now they need to make a bunch of packaging for each one. Or they can make a few high quality hard disks and pay the same on packaging. Their profit margins per disk would probably be similar until you start factoring in things like packaging and shipping where the higher end parts have a greater profit potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.