new p4pe mobo, big HDD problem

Deminus

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
Hi everyone! I would appreciate any help with this i can get..

I'm slowly upgrading my system here from an athlon xp 1600+ to a faster p4 system...my asus p4pe mobo, 2.4 gig cpu (533 fsb), and 512mb stick of corsair pc2700 arrived a few days ago...and i've been anxiously awaiting my new case to come in to install everything. Well..i'm impatient, so i went and stuck everything in my old case...

Everything seems to work fine except for one major problem...I can't boot off of the hard drive. As soon as windows xp tries to load, i get a blue screen error i've never seen before, saying that windows has shut down to prevent damage to the system...and it further says that i should check my HD for a virus, and run checkdisk /f to make sure it isn't corrupt.

Well..obviously the hard drive is fine, since i'm posting now in my old computer again...it's a WD 60 gig 7500 rpm. I've made sure that i'm connected to the right pins..cd-rom and floppy dont seem to have a problem...both IDE's are turned on in my bios..(i also tried manually putting my HDD specs into the bios, and no go)

That's all i can really think of...please help! If you need more info just ask...thanks in advance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When going from a VIA to Intel chipset, it's best to do a clean install of the operating system. WinXP is REALLY fussy about major hardware changes.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
did you make sure your power supply is p4 compatable? your changing from an athlon to a p4 and the power supplies are different. the p4 boards have an extra power supply cable connection. it's a small 4 pin square located, usually, next to the processor.

Deminus

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
Aye I had the 4 pin connector on...even if my case didn't have one, the asus board has an ez-plug that you can just plug a 4 pin device power connector into...but my new case will be here today. As soon as it arrives I will try again and do a fresh install...thanks a lot for the replies!

TRENDING THREADS